RECIPE: Toasted coconut marshmallows

msprettykyAugust 1, 2006

I got this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa. My necies and nephew love them. I add flavors like strawberry or coconut sometimes.

TOASTED COCONUT MARSHMALLOWS

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 cup light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk

attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over

medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240

degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer

on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix

thoroughly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babsinmd

I was just looking at this recipe in her cookbook the other day. I have always wanted to make homemade marshmallows. Are they easy?

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 12:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msprettyky

VERY easy. Once you get them in the mixer, you walk away for 15 mins, come back add a little vanilla....and you have marshmallow! I could'nt believe how easy they were. You can just dust them with powdered sugar instead of coconut. For valentines day, I used food color to make them pink and added strawberry flavor. Then I used a white chocolate ganash icing on top. I flavored the icing with strawberry too. The kids went crazy for them. To tell you the truth though, I think my mother liked them better. I found some hidden in her room a week later! lol
We are going camping at the end of the month and I plan on making some for roasting and for smores.

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Almond Cookies
Hello Everyone! I make cookies at home with almond...
kartik2094
choc chip cookie recipe with pudding
Last Christmas I saw on here a recipe for choc chip...
sorie6
RECIPE: Lost Cookie Recipe
I'm looking for a cookie recipe I use to make. I can't...
darrah
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™