Tips & Tricks for Making BIG Cookies

jeriJanuary 15, 2008

Hi! :-)

IÂm going to make BethÂs Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies for a school bake sale this Saturday. I was told that they would be selling for $1.00 each, so I want to make big cookies. Or should I make smaller ones and bag two together???

IÂm looking for Tips & Tricks for making Big cookies.

I need 6 dozen  how many of the original recipe do you think it will take?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wizardnm

I'd use about a 1/3C of dough for each cookie and I'm going to guess at 6X the original recipe. Since the recipe says it makes 36 cookies when using a heaping tsp of dough for ea.

OR

Make logs of the dough about 2 1/2" in diameter and let firm up in the refrigerator. Make the logs all about the same length. If you have 4 logs then just measure the lenght and divide by 18 to figure out how much dough to cut off for each cookie. Six logs...1 dz per log.

Nancy

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 4:27PM
jeri

That log idea sounds interesting. Could I make up 6 logs on Friday night and then cut/bake Saturday morning? Cut and bake while cold  right? I shouldnÂt let them come back to room temp  should I? How long should I bake these for?

Thanks for your help Nancy!

I Googled "bake sales" and found some good ideas for packaging them, placing them in a basket for displaying, and putting a sign in front. I read that people like to read signs (gives them something to do while they peruse the table) and helps to make the sale. This is my first bake sale. :-)

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 4:34PM
obxgina

Jeri, I make black and white cookies and they are very big. Some people use an ice cream scoop,I have a giant tablespoon that I use with very good success. Hope this helps. Gina

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 4:50PM
wizardnm

Yes, cut and bake in the AM right out of the frige... no need to warm up. I make giant choc chunk cookies that bake @375 for 11 min. you want then baked but not over baked, watch for the edges to begin to brown.

Have fun!

Nancy

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 6:26PM
lindac

BUT...if your cookie recipe calls for baking powder you will lose some of the leavening by allowing them to sit over night....
So either choose a recipe that uses soda...or deal with flatter cookies that spread more.
I would double the recipe and bake them in amounts of 1/4 cup amounts.....and then make another double batch...until you get your 6 dozen.
If you make them too big, they are difficult to bake through without getting crusty on the edges...baking on a sil-pat will help with that, and a big cookie that is underdone breaks easily.
I remember about 30 years ago when there was a fad for "monster" cookies....you got about 8 to a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough!
Linda C

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 6:36PM
jeri

The only reason I wanted a Big cookie is because they are going to be sold for $1.00 each. Maybe this is normal for fund raisers? I thought that sounded like a lot so I wanted to give the buyer "something" of value I could just bag 2 or 3 regular cookies  but I thought a big cookie would have that Wow factor. Should I just make them regular size and bag 3???

The recipe IÂm using only uses baking soda. :-)

Where can I purchase a sil-pat???

Still loving the Log idea  especially if I can make the dough the night before. I got a stand mixer for Xmas that IÂve not used yet. :-)

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 6:50PM
wizardnm

You really don't need a sil-pat, I have baked hundreds of dozens on parchment paper. When you do the rolls and slice the dough, the surface is nice and flat, not humped which does make the cookie a little harder to get baked evenly.

You are right in thinking that people put more value in a nice big cookie, at least that was my experience. When we had the deli we also made giant No Bake cookies. They were our very best selling single item.

Nancy

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 7:30PM
jeri

CanÂt thank you enough Nancy! I donÂt know what I would do without these forums and the wonderful people who take their time to help others out.

Nancy - here is a Cookie Bouquet just for you :-)

Gosh  those cute smiley faced flower cookies would bring a buck  wouldn't they Maybe I can try something like that next time :-)

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 7:47PM
msafirstein

In my experience smaller cookies taste better. And they bake better too! But lately I've seen many over-sized cookies and HUGE muffins too. If I was in your shoes, I make the big cookies.

Nancy is correct about the silpat v. parchment. I have both and prefer parchment paper over my silpats any day.

You can insert a popsicle stick in each cookie and make Lollipop Cookies. I made some for Halloween and my nieces loved 'em and so did my construction crews!

Michelle

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 12:04AM
sands99

If I were to make a big cookie or a huge cookie I would consider using a hearty pizza pan with holes [like the Cuisinart variety] to ensure the cookies were cooked and crisped all the way through

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 12:19AM
wizardnm

You're welcome Jeri and thanks for the cookie bouquet, I'll have one for breakfast today... :))

Nancy

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 8:07AM
cloudy_christine

Another way to form giant oatmeal cookies, from a Maida Heatter recipe: have a bowl of water handy, dip your hands into it, then, with very wet hands, pick up a handful of cookie dough and deposit it onto the cookie sheet. Re-wet your hands each time. Fast and easy, although messy.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
THANK-YOU Tamara! And all the good gremlins too...
For awhile now, I've been seeing the artifacts of the...
plllog
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™