LOOKING for: Recipes without Nuts!

happylady1957August 9, 2008

Okay, so here's the story...there are many recipes for loaves, cakes, etc., that call for nuts, but in our house, that is a no-no - Allergies! I'm stymied as to what to use when the ingredient amounts to a cup or so. I believe that some recipes could take the ommission, taste wise, but what about volume? Thanks to all the baking mavens who may know the answer to this!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Brownies, most cakes, quick breads & chocolate chip cookies can all be made without nuts. For the rest, you'd just have to use your own judgment. Mexican wedding cookies wouldn't work as well as pecan pies (obviously, LOL) wouldn't work either.

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 6:24PM
khandi

I agree with Ginger. Sometimes I add the nuts and sometimes I don't. It doesn't really change the final product (brownies, cookies, cakes, breads).

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 8:04AM
momj47

I don't like nuts in my food, so I don't add nuts to any recipe, and no one seems to notice. If you need something else, you can always add raisins or cranberries or some other dried fruit.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 9:39PM
lindac

There are nuts and there are seeds....like sunflower seeds. they can often sub for nuts in a recipe that needs a little crunch or in a quick bread.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Pumpkin Dump Cake
Wanting to take Pumpkin Dump Cake to work and wondered...
cjwood
RECIPE: Dessert Ideas
I am making dessert for an evening business meeting...
Lucky400
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
RECIPE: basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
DELETED - CHANGING TO: LOOKING FOR This post was edited...
jally
RECIPE: Date and Nut Caramel Truffles
Date and Nut Caramel Truffles 2 eggs ¾ tsp salt ½...
khandi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™