RECIPE: Need recipes for Fruit Bars & Fruit Crisps
This is my crust for Pineapple/Rhubarb Bars (reminiscent of commercial Fig Bars or Date Bars made from a boxed mix)to be baked in a greased & floured jelly roll pan. I mix the same crust for Apple Crisp, & bake that in a 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan. If anyone wants my recipes for these fillings, let me know; I want recipes for other flavors of Bars & Crisps, preferably on the from-scratch side. No doubt Peach (or other fruit) Crisp would be made like the Apple Crisp, but I'd like flavoring suggestions. I'd also like recipes for other-than-pineapple/rhubarb Fruit Bars.
CRUST FOR FRUIT BARS / CRISPS:
1. Cream together 3/4 C butter & 1 C brown sugar.
2. Add 1 3/4 C flour, 1/2 t soda & 1 t salt.
3. Stir in 1 1/2 C oat flakes -- regular, not thick-cut.
4. For a Fruit Crisp, pat half of this crumbly mixture into a lightly greased 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan; for a Fruit Bar, press half of it into a greased & floured jelly roll pan -- the flour makes these easier to remove later.
5. Using the backs of your fingers, firmly press down this bottom crust.
6. Spread (or otherwise equally distribute) the desired filling evenly over the bottom crust; if making Bars, spread the filling only to within 1/2" of the sides.
7. Sprinkle remaining crust mixture evenly over filling, and pat it down firmly but gently.
8. On the center rack of oven, bake Fruit Crisp @ 325 F for 45 minutes, or bake Fruit Bars @ 350 F for 30 minutes.