LOOKING for: 'Table Cream'?

linnea56July 3, 2007

Saw cans of this in the store: what it it used for? Small can, not evaporated milk, not condensed. On the label it was suggested using it over fruit. I bought a can and tasted it, but it had no sweetness at all. Not as rich as cream; not interesting enough by itself or without mixing sugar in. I could see this in a cream soup but wonder if it does have potential as a dessert ingredient.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Here's what Cook's Thesaurus says:

light cream = coffee cream = table cream (18 - 30% fat) Substitutes: evaporated milk OR half and half OR 1 C = 7/8 C milk + 3 tablespoons butter OR blend equal parts milk and cottage cheese Notes: Unlike heavy cream, lower-fat substitutes like light cream, half-and-half, and evaporated milk tend to "break" or curdle when added to sauces. To prevent this from happening, heat the sauce over low or medium heat, or reduce the cream substitute before adding it to the sauce. Don't let the sauce boil. Cream sauces made with lower-fat cream substitutes also tend to have less body; to correct for that, consider adding 1 tablespoon flour or 2 teaspoons cornstarch to the sauce for every cup of evaporated milk substituted. Stir the thickener into a paste first to prevent lumps.

Below are some uses from Nestle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nestle Table Cream

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 4:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Scroll down for a description of a non-canned version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table Cream

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 4:44AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
RECIPE: basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
DELETED - CHANGING TO: LOOKING FOR This post was edited...
jally
RECIPE: Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
It is a good one, I have made it many times for many...
sheshe
recipe: i found it
Just double checked my recipe box and found the "lost...
darrah
RECIPE: Date and Nut Caramel Truffles
Date and Nut Caramel Truffles 2 eggs ¾ tsp salt ½...
khandi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™