Mantel Scarf

wnlbutterflyDecember 11, 2004

After reading some posts about the purses made out of table runners, I thought I would share what I made. Our first home and it has a stone fireplace. I have a friend that sells mantel scarfs (I wouldn't have known about them otherwise), but I am a little thrifty (cheap), and didn't want to pay $30. So while I was at the Dollar Tree, I found beautiful red silk table runners, the ones with the pointy ends with tassles. I bought four. I took 3 of them and cut the ends off (about 20" from the end), and sewed them across the side of one full table runner. So I have a scarf on my mantel that has 6 pointy end with tassles handing done in front, and same on the side. Took a little work to get it all to fit, but it did and was worth it. So my fancy mantel scarf cost me $4.00.

They also had some in tan (most of the house is in beige and tan) and I am going to make one for the rest of the year as well.

I also bought matching napkins to put on the end tables, and used my extra material that I had cut off to make a scarf (just basic rectangle) for coffee table.

While I was admiring my handiwork, I was thinking how it is so amazing that we can create such wonderful things for our homes, and the price doesn't matter. I would have had to pay $50 for this at a store no doubt. Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianelea

Laura,

How creative! I saw those runners yesterday but didn't buy them as I wasn't sure what I could make - now I know. I did buy the tapestry ones with poinsettias on so I could make totes.

DianeLea

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 3:35PM
shaun

Is there any way of posting a picture so we can see it? It sounds very pretty!

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 9:45PM
EndlessPossibilities

Laura,
What a great idea! Along those same lines (being creative and saving $)... I bought a bed in a bag set for my bedroom at a very reasonable price but couldn't find a solid color valance to blend with the comforter. So I am going to take the printed top sheet and sew a simple valance (and maybe a tablecloth and pillow with the leftovers). Then use just a plain white top sheet with the printed fitted sheet on the bed.
Christine

Bookmark   December 13, 2004 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
cooper9191
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™