making elf faces ?s

gardener1908December 1, 2009

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but not to GW. For two years now I have been trying to make elves to climb up a candy cane ladder outside my house. The ladder is about 10ft. tall and I would like the elves to be about 2ft. I have purchased children's holiday clothes to dress them in and tried using pvc and hanger wire to do the bodies, not very successsful. Also for their faces I tried making soft sculptered ones out of felt, cute but not what I wanted. I would like to try molding clay, but it seems to be pretty pricey at Hobby Lobby for how much I would need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

What you need is salt dough. I don't have it but there are countless sites on line with the recipe. This is much like play dough that you mold and bake in the oven or microwave. You can pose characters by stuffing parchment paper around the dough while they are baking or use things that you can find like spoon handles.

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 4:56PM
adellabedella_usa

This may be a wild idea, but I'll throw it out there anyway. How about using that expandable foam that you use to fill in gaps around your house. You might try to form it over a balloon like you do paper mache. Or you could get a face mold and spray it in there.

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 5:01PM
gardener1908

I am probaly going to make my own moldeling clay. I think I'll try baking them and attach them to a cloth head with holes that I'll pucnh in around the face. It's funny you suggested the spray foam, I bought some last year for a Christmas project and couldn't remember the 'idea' I had. Sooo many ideas floating around up there. LOL. Thanks for the imput.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
cooper9191
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
Sponsored Products
Roslyn Flemish Bronze Fluorescent 31.75-Inch Three Light Hall Foyer Pendant
$369.00 | Bellacor
Treated Pine Country Classic Face to Face Swing
Fifthroom.com
Design House Oakmont Roman Tub Faucet - 523431
$249.99 | Hayneedle
11-1/2' European Side Mount Patio Umbrella with Valance
$899.00 | FRONTGATE
Delos Ceiling Fan by Craftmade
$257.40 | Lumens