Lifepine vs Cedar

mtnrdredux_gwDecember 3, 2012

Sorry, i meant to post this on its own, did not mean to hijack RedLover's query.

Lifepine just quoted $290 a square. I have a lumber yard sourcebook with cedar shingles in it, but it looks like it is really hard for a layperson to figure out the cost per sq for cedar, because of questions in re single or double coverage, backer or not, bleaching oil, grade, etc etc etc. Looks to me like maybe 150/sq?

At any rate, no mention of anywhere of Lifepine becing competitive with or less than cedar, so my guess is it is certainly more costly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

What was the exposure and size of the shingles LifePine quoted? If it was 5/8" x 18" with a 5" exposure it would be roughly equivalent to white cedar shingle. LifePine can be much larger in thickness, length and have greater exposure.

White cedar shingles would need a preservative finish.

Don't forget shipping. Cedar is from the North, yellow pine is from the South.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 3:41PM
mtnrdredux_gw

Oddly,the Lifepine did not give any of those specs, which I was expecting in order to line it up w my cedar price table.

It is on my list of things to discuss with the architect, thanks for mentioning the product here!

It makes me wonder what else you would put on the end of the phrase "if I were building a house"? : )

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:57PM
athensmomof3

I have read that pine shingles have a much shorter life than cedar, and the pine shingles in our neighborhood (one of which is definitely LifePine because it is in their website gallery) seem to support that. They don't look nearly as good as the older cedar roofs.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:39AM
mtnrdredux_gw

Good to know, Athens. Thanks

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:27PM
renovator8

Were you asking about roof shingles?

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:34PM
sochi

We were considering both options as well, although panels, not shingles. A few friends recommended Maibec and I went to see a recent installation at a friend's house, it looks fabulous (again, they had clapboard like siding, not shingles). It might be worth getting a quote from Maibec too, if you like their shingle product. The warranty looks impressive, but I haven't read the small print. I've pasted a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maibec

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 4:19PM
mtnrdredux_gw

Renovator, more about siding.

Sochi, Maibec is what was in our local building supply catalogue - its white cedar

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 4:42PM
virgilcarter

A number of years ago, I built my own house using Shakertown panelized shingles for the wall siding and was very satisfied with the product. They were left natural to weather naturally.

Here's the website: http://shakertown.com/cedar-products/craftsman-cedar-shingle-panel/

Good luck with your project.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 7:44PM
renovator8

In my experience the cost of fire-retardant wood shingles on a roof would be prohibitive not to mention the additional maintenance.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 6:28AM
millworkman

You also really need to determine what product your comparing to the Lifepine. Are you talking about using Red Cedar which are normally 18" or White Cedar which would be 16". The Red Cedar are normally considered the more durable and used Naturally or finished. White Cedar (Maibec, etc) are 16" and for any durability need to be finished. The coverage will vary widely depending on the product and then the grade of product used as well as where the product is used (sidewall or roof).

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Lessons of this Winter
I find lots of people are guided by aesthetics and...
edlincoln
House complete... Moving Friday... Photo tour
Hi all! I thought I would post some pics while the...
Momto3kiddos
Interior Doors - any experience with this company?
Does anyone have any experience with solidhardwooddoors.com...
numbersjunkie
How to cut back on cost
We have 6 kids, 4 still at home. We want a large house...
mommabearof5
Don Gardner Callaway Plan - anyone have pictures
My wife and I are considering building the Don Gardner...
Scott Carson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™