RECIPE: Lemon Tarts for nana grandma!

sunnyca_gwApril 14, 2009

Lemon Tarts- crust-8 oz cream cheese 1 1/3 c. butter 2 2/3 c. flour Mix together well in mixer. Best to take ingredients right out of fridge & mix ,if they sit out dough is too soft. If you are making tiny tarts for a wedding or even 3 in tarts you can make little balls & just press them into the tart pans. If you are making larger tarts, I roll the dough between 2 sheets waxed paper the bottom sheet taped with masking tape to table or other smooth surface. I use a tiny bit of flour on bottom sheet swing the dough around in it flip over add top sheet & roll out to fit the piepan size you are using. I use oval, round,etc, some are lids others are from store bought pies but the trick is to only go up the side of pan about 1 inch. You will get 21-3 in tarts,15 tiny tarts & 1- 6 in pie pan from 1 batch- I go for easy so I use the oval or round 6-8 in pans & I get about 6 of these larger tarts. They freeze well with either pecan or lemon filling. Lemon filling-2 c. sugar 1/4 c flour, 1/8 tsp salt 2/3 cube of butter(softened) 1/3 c. lemon juice (from a lemon)rind grated off of 2 medium lemons about 3-4 in long 2- 2 1/2 in. thick be sure to only get the yellow part( wash lemon well- I use nylon scrubber) the white part under the rind is very bitter-don't use it.4 unbeaten large eggs, mix just until mixed together. pour into 4- 6 in tart pans that are lined with dough. About 3/4 in thick. I have to make 1/2 batch more of the lemon filling as I usually have 2 other pans that are dough filled & I love the lemon. Pecan filling I use is 3 eggs,beaten,1 c. light Karo,1/2 tsp salt,1/2 c lt br. sugar,3 Tbs butter, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla 1 Tbs. flour 1 c.chopped pecans. Melt butter. Combine eggs sugars & Karo, add rest. Bake these at 350 degrees 25-40 min depending on your oven. They should be med. golden browned on edges of tart& filling, toothpick should not be wet but have a little bit of lemon on it.It will have a little bit of browning on the lemon. pecan should be pretty "set" that means not soupy & toothpick not wet pecans should not be easy to move!( trying to help beginners here!LOL) They are delicious & everytime I've taken them for gettogether I come home empty handed, they eat them all!! Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisbet

To "sunnyca"......just want to thank you for the very nice recipe! However, had to re-organize it a bit so that it would be easier to follow.

Also, a Great Big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 10:56AM
sunnyca_gw

I just tried to get it all out before the computer froze up!! I often tend to dump most ingredients together,do beat eggs 1st if says beaten eggs. People are always wanting to "buy" stuff I make or wanting me to go into business. Then it wouldn't be fun.I made lots of wedding & shower cakes for just the cost of ingredients as I had 2 kids & didn't work. I love giving it away & my neighbors tell me I "make" their Christmas. That's all I need to hear!! This computer won't let me make receipes in receipe form for some reason & can't make paragraphs, so everything is run together. I usually print off receipe from here & try & then if I like it I write it up & put in my receipe box & where I got it fromand yr. I find my tastes have changed some over the yrs & I have to cook more low sodium as parents BP spikes if they eat salty foods. Thanks for the birthday greeting! Some day to be born-tax day!!! Jan

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 10:16PM
pauline13

sunnyca,

I have two questions.

Regarding the crust, you say you get "1- 6 in pie pan from 1 batch- I go for easy so I use the oval or round 6-8 in pans & I get about 6 of these larger tarts." I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you getting one 6 inch crust (pie pan) or are you getting six 6 to 8 inch crusts?

My other question is what do you consider a "cube" of butter to be? Is it one stick or a fraction of a stick.

Thanks,

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 12:14PM
sunnyca_gw

Hi Pauline, My oven (after last quake) is smaller than the original 1 I had. I used to get 4 -9 or 10 in. pies in at once. This 1 I can only get 2- 9 in. (kitty-corner from each other) so I find odd sized old pyrex piepans work best. So I get about 6 of the 6 in crusts from 1 batch.I say about 6 as everyone rolls dough out differently. I don't like thick crust, I want to just have place for the wonderful lemon filling to be, & need crust to make nice slices.Because they are tarts you only go up the sides of pans about 1/3 of way. Butter=4cubes to 1 lb. or 1/2 cup butter per cube. Hope that helps!!

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 2:54AM
pauline13

Sunnyca,

Thanks for the clarification. The recipe sounds wonderful.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 4:41PM
gardenlover25

Your recipe seems very delicious. Please upload some photos too. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 3:07AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: chocolate/raspberry yogurt whip?
Hi! I am hoping someone knows of a recipe or has some...
cateyanne
RECIPE: basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
DELETED - CHANGING TO: LOOKING FOR This post was edited...
jally
recipe: i found it
Just double checked my recipe box and found the "lost...
darrah
LOOKING for: Chocolate pretzels
Looking for the directions for pretzels with Hershey...
Dee1
RECIPE: Food processor apple cake/kuchen recipe
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me find this recipe,...
lccntryrox
Sponsored Products
Lenox Tribeca 9 in. Pasta/Rim Soup Bowl - 6229405
$43.40 | Hayneedle
Alligator Oven Mitt
$7.99 | zulily
Anolon Advanced Bronze Collection Nonstick 12 Cup Muffin Pan - 57036
$24.99 | Hayneedle
All-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel .5-qt. Butter Warmer - 42006
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Set of Two Mediterranean Mixer Packs
$38.95 | FRONTGATE