RECIPE: why did it happen?

snowballApril 25, 2009

I'm the one that posted awhile back about cinnamon cake recipe for daughter's wedding...tried one atleast that you all posted bust wasn't where daughter could taste them anyway so didn't try any of the others. In women's world I found a recipe for a cake called a king's cake

1 box butter cake mix perferably duncan hines

1/2 cup butter

3 eggs

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp allspice

2/3 C water

please note i'm recalling from memoery and hope that what I've typed is what we did we did follow the recipe/box as instructed

it had after baking holes poked in it with a hot rum and butter mixture poured over it

I didn't want the alchol so used exract flavoring and put it into the water so the amount of water was as called for. the cakes fell!!! one thing I know we did wrong was put to many pans in the oven at one time...was that the only thing or what else. I wondered about high altitude directions but haven't in the past. When I've made cakes before I used Betty Crocker...I understand that homemade tastes better but the box mix seemed to be more firm not so crumbly...

we need to redo the cakes and am wondering what your ideas are so that the same mistake won't be made

thanks a bunch

sheila

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Who knows but check the site below for different reasons cakes fall. You can't wing it as much with cakes since it's pretty much science to be successful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why cakes fall

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 8:49AM
Nancy zone 6

I would imagine having too many pans could easily have been the only reason. I think you would have needed to bake a little longer for them to be completely done

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 6:46PM
sunnyca_gw

I made 16 in cakes, 12 in & 8 in cakes for a wedding All Duncan Hines & all looked perfect. I went to flip them over unto cake boards & 1 after another they turned into pile of crumbs.(1970's I think) I called DH & they sent 6 pages of stuff on how not to have a flop with their cakes. I told them to go back to their old dependable receipe. They refused even tho cake bakers were writing "Maid of Scandinavia's national cake decorating magazine complaining. Duncan Hines flatly refused to change it back. They lost a lot of valuable customers. I've never bought another 1. Later Coke tried changing their formula & quickly saw error of their way & changed it back. I've had oven full of cakes, most bakers do can't get cakes done & have them fresh if only doing couple at a time. 1 reason your cake might have fallen, well 2- 1. did you try to move them around in oven or even pull the rack out(don't have any racks in oven but 1 cakes are on so you can test with toothpick by reaching in with hand) when part way done- that will cause a flop with any cake from scratch or otherwise. 2. did your toothpick come out clean as a whistle, with the water & that many eggs if it isn't done it will sink!! That would be my assessment!!Jan

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 2:24AM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Irish brown bread recipe
I've got the Odlums course Irish Whole Wheat flour,...
magsnj
RECIPE: Rhubarb/strawberry jello crunch
I lost my recipe for this dessert. I know you make...
deb_pa
RECIPE: Meringue Pie Failure
Calling for all meringue pie topping pros!! I made...
becky_jo
RECIPE: Irish Cream recipes
Please share any Irish Cream recipes that you've tried...
ruthz
LOOKING for: Almond Cookies
Hello Everyone! I make cookies at home with almond...
kartik2094
Sponsored Products
Emile Henry Ceramic 2.5 qt. Cassoulet Pot with Lid - 614573
$125.00 | Hayneedle
Spilt Egg Separator
$5.99 | zulily
"Hopsy" Spring Gund Bunny - MULTI COLORS
$25.00 | Horchow
Red Vanilla Every Time White 38 oz. Pitcher - ET1916
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Handmade Tamales - ASSORTED
$92.00 | Horchow