RECIPE: homemade ice cream

brownthumbiaMarch 30, 2009

Hi all. I am thinking of getting my ice cream freezer out to make some ice cream for Easter. I was just wondering if you absolutely have to use rock salt or is there another kind you can use, like, plain old table salt, for instance. It just seems to me that I had used another kind but I haven't made ice cream for so long I can't remember for sure. My machine says rock salt but sometimes you can substitute without any problems. Anyone have any ideas on the subject? Thanks in advance. BT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marilyn_sue

I think rock salt would be the cheapest to use, depending on how big your freeze is. Just my take on it. I usually buy a big bag of it that is used for some water softeners and use some of it. I have never used any other kind of salt other than rock salt.

Sue

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 8:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Rock salt is much cheaper. It probably won't disintegrate as fast as table salt, and may keep things cold longer. I bought an old fashioned crank ice cream maker and it is the first thing the grand kids want to do when they come here. I was hoping to see some delish recipes in this thread. Maybe some will come!
Suzi

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
Hi, all. It's unbelievable, how there still is no decent...
jally
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
RECIPE: Pumpkin Dump Cake
Wanting to take Pumpkin Dump Cake to work and wondered...
cjwood
LOOKING for: Eagle Brand Lemon Bars (No Cooking)
I'm looking for a recipe my mom used to make all the...
lobotome
RECIPE: looking for: coconut cake recipe
I'd love to try a coconut cake. I have not tried many...
gumspring45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™