LOOKING for: cream puffs

janet_ksFebruary 26, 2004

I'm in the mood for cream puffs -- haven't had them since I was a kid. Does anyone have a T&T recipe they'd like to share? Also, we always filled them with pudding, but I'm open to other ideas....

Thanks,

Janet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

This is a recipe I've always used & never had a flop yet. Got it from Craig Claiborne & posted it a while back for someone & they had good luck with it too.
CREAM PUFF SHELLS (10 large puffs)
1 cup water
1/4 lb butter
Pinch of salt
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 450°. Combine the water, butter & salt & bring to a boil. Remove from the heat & add the flour all at once. Stir vigorously until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan & forms a ball around the spoon. If a ball does not form almost immediately, hold the saucepan over low heat & beat briskly a few seconds. Cool slightly.
Add the eggs, 1 at a time & beat until the mixture is smooth & glossy after each addition.
Drop the mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet, leaving 2" between the puffs to permit spreading.
Bake 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350° & bake until no bubbles of fat remain on the surface & the sides of the puffs feel rigid, about 30 minutes longer. Cool. Cut a cap off each puff & fill with pastry cream. (I use whipped cream.) Replace the cap.~~

PASTRY CREAM (about 3 cups)
1/3 cup sugar
3 1/2 TBL cornstarch or 6 TBL flour
6 lightly beaten egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, cornstarch & yolks in a saucepan. Scald the milk & pour it gradually over the egg yolk mixture, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk.
Cook over low heat or in the top of a double boiler, stirring rapidly with the whisk, until the mixture is thickened & smooth. Do not allow to boil. Cool & stir in the vanilla.~~

Bookmark   February 26, 2004 at 5:25PM
janet_ks

Sounds perfect -- thank you Ginger!!

Janet

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 8:47AM
ginger_st_thomas

You're welcome! Hope you like them.

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 3:26PM
cookingrvc

I use to make cream puffs with filling of prepared pistachio pudding with whipped cream folded in.

Sue

Bookmark   February 28, 2004 at 10:09AM
eileen_launonen

FANTASTIC!!!! Ginger I just got done making these for dessert for tonights Sunday dinner....Which is fresh Ravioli from my Italian Pork store Homemade Marinara (which smells unbelieveable) and nice Italian bread with a big tossed salad! I cant wait for dinner!!!!!!!!!!

PS This recipe is SO EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   March 28, 2004 at 10:12AM
ginger_st_thomas

With that dinner I don't blame you, Eileen. Could I come over? LOL Glad you liked the cream puffs.

Bookmark   March 28, 2004 at 4:22PM
eileen_launonen

Hey anytime you up this way your more than welcome!

Bookmark   March 30, 2004 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
DELETED - CHANGING TO: LOOKING FOR This post was edited...
jally
RECIPE: looking for: coconut cake recipe
I'd love to try a coconut cake. I have not tried many...
gumspring45
RECIPE: merita fruitcake
Some of you may remember a fruitcake sold by Merita...
bws1955
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
choc chip cookie recipe with pudding
Last Christmas I saw on here a recipe for choc chip...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™