Ideas for fireplace on screen porch.. Direct vent?

momto3kiddosDecember 13, 2012

We are currently building and including a direct vent fireplace in the family room (monessen lexington or mendota.) We also have a screen porch with 3 sides that are the exterior of the house, so only one wall of the screen porch will be screened. W plan to put in the eze-breeze vinyl windows on this porch.

We would love to put a fireplace on the porch, but we would prefer to not do a ventless since the porch will remained "closed" with the vinyl windows most of the time. My husband is also very sensitive to the gas smell that we get with our current ventless fireplace.

Fireplace salesman said that we could not do a direct vent because there are none rated for outdoor use. He suggests retrofitting the fireplace after the CO if vented is necessary which would include framing, masonry work and fireplace installation.

What other ideas do you all have?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

Take the direct vent through the roof.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 5:12AM
momto3kiddos

Venting through the roof is the plan, but is there any way to accomplish something like this according to code instead of having to wait until after we move in?

It sounds cheesy, but we may be open to an electric fireplace or stove, too. I didn't see any rated for outdoor use, but this would be an easier retrofit after closing. Anyone have any experience with these on an enclosed porch?

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 9:45AM
renovator8

Why would venting through the roof be a code violation?

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 10:25AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Venting through the roof isn't against code unless you don't have the exhaust pipe high enough to keep from backdrafting the exhaust back into the house from other vents.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 12:49PM
momto3kiddos

Per the fireplace installer, using a fireplace rated for indoors on a porch is a code violation. I have not been able to find a direct vent rated for outdoor use.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 2:38PM
renovator8

There interior foctory-built gas fireplaces that have glass backs so you can see the fire from the porch.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 8:07AM
renovator8

Factory-built fireplaces for wood or gas are made of sheet steel so they would quickly rust if used outdoors and endanger your property and the lives of your family. If a unit was made of stainless steel it would probably cost more than a masonry fireplace which is what you should be looking for.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 7:37AM
niteshadepromises

We're planning to put a Montebello See though direct vent on our Deck wall (backing to the interior family room). As renovator said they make an indoor/outdoor one that while pricey, is designed for just that application. There are actually a number of brands that now have this, Heat n Glo, Majestic, Montessan.

Speaking from my in person experience of the Montebello showroom model, the outdoor side with the outdoor window kit (which makes this useable on an outside wall) is more for ambience not heating. We could really feel the heat radiating off the ceramic interior face of the FP but when we popped outside to check out the view of it burning didn't feel much heat at all. It hadn't been running too long however. Might still work well for supplying heat to a screened in porch if the area is left open to the interior side of the FP which it sounds like wouldn't be too hard to do in your application.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 5:09AM
andi_k

We used the heatnglo twilight ii fireplace - indoor/outdoor see through w/family room. Seems to heat up well so far on both sides.

pics of family room are in beginning of this post and screen porch is at the end...

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
What is your favorite feature about your house?
Do you have one or several favorite features or a...
Darla Grossman
Smart Homes Ideas
I am curious about the ideas that people are incorporating...
s_dipity
Need help laundry room flooring
I am in the process of selecting floors for my new...
foxdeerpark
Master Bedroom Floorplan Review
Hello, I am currently working on building a new house...
mary8153
Opinions on using Rigid Foam on exterior walls & basement floor?
Okay, so I am getting a lot closer to groundbreaking...
ctsnicholas
Sponsored Products
Freejack Ecran Pendant
Lightology
Hinkley 40 Degree Bronze 3 Watt LED Landscape Spotlight
Lamps Plus
Lucan Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
BEGA | LED Directional Wall Light - 3542
$390.00 | YLighting
A & L Furniture Yellow Pine Classic Porch Rocker - 680-UNFINISHED
$163.75 | Hayneedle
Terra Teak Dining Side Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
WS-W5516 Twilight 16" 25W LED Outdoor Wall Light
LBC Lighting
Oversized Geometric Bronze Wall Register
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™