Making an Evergreen Wreath??

amberscuNovember 25, 2008

Has anyone ever made a real evergreen wreath? I have seen so many pretty ones but do not have the $40 to buy one. I do however, have a huge tree in my front yard! I did a search on google and all I could find was how to take care of them or where to find them for sale.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Martha Stewart usually does a live 1. She uses a double wire wreath form & wires them around until it is full. It looks easy but sometimes when we go to do it we find out it isn't so easy. Besides the form you would need wire & wire cutters & needlenose pliers. Each bunch is about in. thick or so. Could add a few pinecones & bow also. Or some holly if you have any or add a couple of store picks or dried apple rounds dipped in cinnamon. Jan

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 10:15PM
joytwo1839

My grandmother use to make lots and lots and sell them to people on our mountain and I have also made them using her technique. She would use wire clothes hangers, my grandfather would shape them into circles and collect the evergreens. She would use only the limber pieces and about 8 inches of the tip would be the finishing pieces, tucking the hard end into the wreath. She used a very stout black thread and a large sewing needle. They were beautiful!

IT is a lot of work but worth it. I still use the hangers (they already have the hook to hang them up with) but use florist wire to attach them. I use mostly Leyland cypress because that is what I have most of but decorate them with boxwood, nandina and a big bow. They smell wonderful

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 9:31AM
donnas_gw

I did a google search and put in "make your own evergreen wreath". There were so many links to choose from. Here's one from eHow.com

Here is a link that might be useful: making an evergreen wreath

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 10:34AM
amberscu

Thanks so much to everyone! It really gets me started!! When I did google, I tried "how to wreath", I never thought about using "making wreath".

I just think they look so pretty!! I found a non-traditional wreath on you tube by P. Allan Smith. It is so beautiful!!

If I can get my hubby to get out the chain saw and get me some branches, I will post a picture! He hates the tree so he might delight in taking the chain saw to it!

Here is a link that might be useful: P. Allan Smith

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 12:22PM
luvstocraft

Years ago when we were stationed in Rhode Island, a group of us got together and collected little new trees which grew in the woods there almost like weeds. We did the coat hanger method and they turned out so pretty. One of my fun memories from that time. Luvs

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Halloween costume for my boobs
Yes I know it's pretty weird but after undergoing breast...
trashywoman
Beaded Christmas ornaments
Most of the year I am busy making beaded jewelry. But...
tripletmom83
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
Thinking of learning decoupage....
........but some questions are stopping me. 1. Must...
pink_warm_mama_1
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
Sponsored Products
John Richard Marble and Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
24-inch Wintry Pine Wreath with Clear Lights
Overstock.com
Majestic Cordless Flex Christmas Garland Christmas Decor
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Spring Greens Wreath - 24" dia.
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Valley Cherry Blossom Black Berry Wreath
$9.99 | zulily
4 ft. Feel-Real Liberty Pine Pre-lit Medium Entrance Tree Multicolor - PELB7-306
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Accent Lamps: 15.75 in. Old World Table Lamp with Antique Brasss LT1005-BRS
Home Depot
Round 20-inch Succulent Wreath
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™