RECIPE: Mints

danainJanuary 2, 2006

Sometime over the holidays someone requested a recipe for mints (I can't remember who) and I posted the recipe that I have had for years. I can remember making them in the 80's for a friends wedding. I decided to add them to my holiday treats this year and they were a huge surprise. I had forgotten how good they were. They were one of the first things to go on the tray and they received many good comments. I made some with cinnamon and some with peppermint. I can see these on my treat tray for Easter also.

I couldn't find my mold so I used a measuring spoon and it worked beautifully.

2 pound pkg. powdered sugar; sifted

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese; softened

Mint and/or cinnamon flavoring (extract)

Food coloring, red and green

Stir together sugar and cream cheese until well combine and smooth. Add just a drop of food color and a drop of extract, kneading until evenly combined. Taste and add more flavor and color if needed. Roll into small balls to fit mold; roll in granulated sugar, press in mold that is also sugared. Turn out on waxed paper. Let dry several hours.

Tip: I use a little round mold for bite size mints. Can purchase at cake decorating stores.

The pink mints are cinnamon and the green are peppermint.

Marilyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenn

How pretty. I'm saving this one. Are they chewy, like marshmallows?

I have some of those molds and I'm wondering how you sugar them without the sugar falling into the bottom. Do you coat them with oil first?

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 12:00AM
danain

Jenn, the mints are creamy inside. Since you roll the candy in sugar before putting in the mold they come right out. The measuring spoon I used was stainless steal and nothing stuck to it. I remember that the candy mold I used to use was plastic and I don't remember the candy sticking to that either.

Marilyn

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 8:32AM
jenn

Thanks Marilyn.

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 3:45PM
Susan_in_NC

Marilyn,

How would you store these? I have a DD who just got engaged (wedding should be a few years from now) and I am gathering recipes that are easy to make and I can do ahead. So far, she is saying she wants a small wedding at home, with MOM cooking!

I don't mind that at all, in fact I'd love to do it. But, I don't want her disappointed after the fact because she really wanted XY and Z but settled for Q because she thought Dad wouldn't shell out for anything better.

So, I'm gathering great recipes, just in case!

Susan

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 7:35AM
danain

Susan, just store covered in the refrigerator after they have dried. Check the package for an expiration date on the cream cheese, that will be how long they last. I made them before Christmas and still have a handful in the frig.

Marilyn

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 8:19AM
roselin32

These are excellent. My sister made them for my niece's wedding some years ago and I've been making them ever since.

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Eagle Brand Lemon Bars (No Cooking)
I'm looking for a recipe my mom used to make all the...
lobotome
RECIPE: chocolate/raspberry yogurt whip?
Hi! I am hoping someone knows of a recipe or has some...
cateyanne
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
choc chip cookie recipe with pudding
Last Christmas I saw on here a recipe for choc chip...
sorie6
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™