Does reindeer moss always smell?

pink_overallsNovember 22, 2011

I bought 3 packages of reindeer moss at the dollar store to use in a centerpiece at a club lunch 3 weeks from now. My beagle, scent hound that she is, discovered how good they smelled and when I wasn't in the room, tore all the packages apart, just to smell the moss.

That's not the problem. I cleaned it all up, and put the stuff back in bags, out of her reach. The problem is, it stinks a little. Does this stuff always smell like the beach? It's very slightly damp, but not rotten or moldy. Technically, it's lichen, the stuff that caribou eat all winter.

How can I use it as part of a centerpiece when it smells like seaweed? It's not altogether unpleasant, but it doesn't seem appropriate or appetizing. Is there a way to disinfect or hide the aroma? What do other crafters do? Should I find a substitute like sheet moss or sphagnum?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjowest

had to laugh at the beagle... :)

how about some eucolyptus (Spelling??) to 'work with the smell"-??

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 7:17AM
concretenprimroses

I sometimes have found it in the wild and I don't remember it having a smell like the beach. It sounds like something that happened in the processing or packaging.
I would try rinsing one clump of it in clean cold water. Don't return it to the packaging, maybe put it in a paper bag once it has mostly dried so that it can continue to dry a bit without getting brittle.
Good luck! Post a pic of your centerpieces.
Kathy

Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 6:57AM
Pudge 2b

I have found that once out of the bag and allowed to air out/breathe a bit, the smell dissipates. To help this process you can stuff it into a net bag and leave it outside for a few days.

Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 8:07PM
luvs2click

I kinda like its earthy smell! It does seem to dissipate after being out of the bag awhile.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 7:14PM
pink_overalls

The scent IS lessening. I've spread it out in the laundry room, so the air can dry it. Two weeks to go.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 7:32PM
pink_overalls

I did use the moss, but I ended up spraying it with an apple-cinnamon air freshener (it seemed like the Christmas-sy thing to do), and then leaving all 9 of them in the garage for over a week.

No one seemed to notice the scent. I blogged about how I made them, in case you want to see pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: How I made the topiaries.

Bookmark   December 30, 2011 at 9:45AM
adellabedella_usa

That is cute and easy.

Are you trying to sell a house right now? Good luck on that.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™