RECIPE: Cranberry Upside-Down Cake (pic)

barbara52January 28, 2004

This is a recipe from the Dec. 2002 issue of Country Home magazine. It is adapted from The Olives Dessert Table. (Olives is Todd English's superb restaurant in Charlestown, Mass.)

CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE (8 servings)

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar

3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

1/4 cup unsaled butter, softened

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans

2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel

2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel

Sweetened whipped cream, if desired

Grease and lightly flour a 9" X 1 1/2" round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper; grease paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl beat 1/4 cup butter, the 1/3 cup brown sugar, and the granulated sugar with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until well combined. Spread on bottom of prepared pan. Press cranberries into mixture. (NOTE: if using frozen cranberries, do not defrost before adding to recipe.)

Place 1/4 cup butter and the 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down bowl after each addition. (Mixture will have a curdled look.) Add flour, baking powder, and salt; mix until just combined. Fold in pecans and citrus peels.

Spread batter gently over cranberries. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes. Loosen cake from pan; invert onto plate. Remove parchment paper. Serve warm or at room temperature, with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.

I found that the taste improves the second day!

Here's what it looks like:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

Barbara, Sounds great and looks even better. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Ann

Bookmark   January 29, 2004 at 1:18PM
Ilene29

This looks so good. I will be saving this recipe. I have some cranberries in the frezzer but we are on a south beach diet so we can't have it right now.
Ilene

Bookmark   February 1, 2004 at 9:01AM
ashy1

This cake is fabulous! However, there were several glitches in the recipe. The instructions didn't tell when to add the milk and vanilla. The 2nd amount of brown sugar (1/2 cup) isn't in the ingredient list. And the cranberry instrux are confusing. It says to use fresh OR frozen crans, and if using frozen ones, not to defrost before adding to recipe. I used fresh AND frozen crans, so wasn't sure whether to defrost. I partially defrosted them, and that seemed to work fine. So, lots of wondering, but it was finally worth it!

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
RECIPE: Food processor apple cake/kuchen recipe
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me find this recipe,...
lccntryrox
RECIPE: Lost Cookie Recipe
I'm looking for a cookie recipe I use to make. I can't...
darrah
RECIPE: Rhubarb/strawberry jello crunch
I lost my recipe for this dessert. I know you make...
deb_pa
RECIPE: basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
DELETED - CHANGING TO: LOOKING FOR This post was edited...
jally
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™