Where to buy bulk flaxseed for crafts?

luvladybugsNovember 6, 2009

I'm wanting to make myself some of the microwave hot and cold pads that ususally contain flaxseed or rice. I am so tired of buying them when I could just make my own. I use them daily in all different sizes so it's not too practical.

I am looking for a place that sells discount bulk flax seeds. If you have any suggestions or have bought some I'd love to hear where. I've searched online but am confused by all the different types of flaxseed. Can you tell me what exactly to look for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl

Do you have a whole foods store or co-op in your area? Any place that sells bulk food, esp. whole grains, should carry it. Some feed stores carry it too however it might be called linseed so check for that name. Flaxseed often denotes human grade consumption while linseed can mean livestock feed grade.
In case you're wondering linseed/flaxseed is where linseed oil comes from.

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 10:16AM
amberscu

I bought mine at a grain store "out in the country". People use it to feed their animals to give them a shiny coat and it is good for digestion. I pay $0.49 a pound where I buy it.

I think flax seed is flax seed. I think there is just different qualities (human & animal). If you are just looking to make some for yourself and not to sell, you can find flax seed at any grocery store in the baking aisle. I know my Walmart carries it.

I searched online to find mine, before I found the grain store, I just googled craft flax seed and tons of different places came up. Depending on where you live, try an livestock feed store or the grocery. If all else fails, I can get some for you and ship it to you. I have no idea how expensive shipping would be though.

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 1:32PM
JoAnn_Fla

Have you tried ebay?

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 4:16PM
homersgarden

A local grocery store near my home has them in their bulk section. I beleive it is 35 cents a pound. I buy it to feed my chickens. It isn't more than 60 cents a pound for sure! Winco is the name of the store. Cub Foods in some areas.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 12:25AM
boojie

If I use Flaxseed for a heating pad ,do I have to process it or treat it somehow? Will microwaving it do damage or cause odors?

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 4:03PM
kudzukween

i know i'm late commenting, but i just saw flaxseed(for consumption) at Sam's. i don't remember the price but i almost bought it for my diet after watching dr. oz. maybe i'll buy it next week. maybe petsmart has some in bulk you could use for heating pads.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 8:08AM
LindaSBB

kudzukween, thanks for posting! I still am unable to find flaxseed or linseed at a reasonable price in volume. Can you tell me what section of Sam's you saw it? I never would have thought of them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy flaxseed for crafts?

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 10:11PM
ivamae

I used some one time that I bought at a country feed place,. One thing I found was that I didn't like the odor if it was overheated. I make a lot of hand warmers and I like to use dried hard wheat from the bulk food store. It is more expensive than rice but I like it better than either rice or flaxseed. I do like rice, though, better than flax seed.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 3:55PM
bulldinkie

These people may hjave this dried flower warehouse look on internet

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 8:15AM
snolady

Flaxseed is sold at Sam's Club near the vitamins and supplements.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
wind spinner patterns
does anyone have patterns for the old time wind spinners...
parker806
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
pixistix
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
cooper9191
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™