where's the freezer control ? ...

vieja_gwDecember 15, 2013

Is it just me & mine... or do refr./ freezers have the temp. control knob for the refrigerator section conveniently right in front inside but the freezer control control is WAY in back.... behind the frozen food!! What is the reason for this?

We have a second refr./freezer unit in a stand-alone garage & I wonder if it may be too airtight & might be hard on the refr./freezer? Maybe have some ventilation to run properly as it seems the units we have had in the garage don't work much beyond 9-10 yrs. They have the grills on the bottoms & not on the units backs.

Our Sear's appliances (refr./freezers seem to last longer than the Frigidare we have now but don't know who makes them for Sear's now either?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Location of controls depends on the specific brand and model of unit.

My GE Arctica (side-by-side, 9 years old) has the freezer and refrigerator controls together on a panel mounted at top edge of the refrigerator section, visible/accessible when the door is open. There are no controls in the freezer compartment.

Not uncommon nowadays that upper-end units have the control panel on outside of the door, often as part of the ice/water dispenser.

Lower-end top-freezer units may have a thermostat in the refrigerator section, and an air diverter control in the freezer section which varies how much of the circulating freezer air is sent into the refrigerator section. This is apparently what is on your unit. The air control is at the rear wall of the freezer because it's a mechanical control that directly operates the air diverter at the fan.

The first three digits of Kenmore model numbers (before the period) indicates the manufacturing source. Translation of the coding can be found at various online sites. Here's one: Who Makes Sears Kenmore?

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
do we like capital ranges
capital ranges ?
Jen & Scott Lehr
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
Blue star French door ELECTRIC oven. Opinions?
looking at BS French door 30" ELECTRIC Anyone...
litebags
Getting the most out of Miele Masterchef?
Probably a dumb question... There are a lot of different...
schicksal
Sponsored Products
Acorn Round End Rolling Barn Door Hardware Kit - Smooth - BH5BI-5
$390.58 | Hayneedle
35 Cup Chrome Universal K Cup Storage Rack
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Big Bang Chocolate/Blue 7' 6" x 9' 6"
Home Depot
VIGO Stainless Steel Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet with Soap Dispenser
Overstock.com
Everette Wall-Mount Glass Sink with Towel Bar and Mirror
Signature Hardware