Hard water and dishwashers

lilyaroseDecember 1, 2012

Has anyone heard whether the dishwashers with cleanable filters, (such as the Bosch and most Kenmores and Whirlpools)get clogged up by hard water over time?

I'm talking about as opposed to the macerators or the hard food disposers that are starting to go out of style.

And I know that basically most parts of a dishwasher can become plugged from hard water, but are the filtered types more vulnerable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cavimum

We recently got a new Bosch 800 Series DW. A water quality test strip comes with it, and there is a receptacle in which you can put the correct amount of special water softening salt. The test strip helps indicate how much of the salt to program the DW to dispense during a wash cycle, and is entirely different from the Jet Dry rinse aid.

Have you ever run the LemiShine thru your current DW, on a full cycle and empty of dishes? LemiShine is pure citric acid and does a good job of dissolving hard water deposits. I learned about it here at GardenWeb and now use it to clean up the water dispenser area on our refrigerator, and the water faucet spouts in our bathrooms.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 6:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Dishwashers with macerators typically also have filter screens, so they're pretty much all vulnerable to mineral deposits to the same degree.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Flimsy dishwasher!
I have to admit that I have never heard of most of...
grapefruit1_ar
Bluestar Electric French Door Wall Oven
Who has one? would love to hear about it! I love the...
Dietitian
steam damage to cabinets from steam oven or warming drawer?
When we had a kitchenaid dishwasher, the hot moist...
houztongirl
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Help Me Choose A Wall Oven
I have a Gaggenau 24" inch convection oven over...
heron3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™