SOS - how long to bake this bread?

goldgirlJanuary 10, 2011

I'm using a Zo bread machine to make dough using one of the booklet recipes, but want to bake it in the oven instead of the machine. What temp and for how long?

The ingredients are 4-1/4 c bread flour, 1-1/2 c water, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp sugar, 1-1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp basil, 2 tsp yeast.

Thanks!

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skeip

Not being an expert, but being a pretty good bread baker and one who like to experiment, start with half an hour at 400 degrees F and see how it looks. The difinitive test is when the internal temperature of the loaf taken with an instant read thermometer is 210 degrees F. Good luck.

Steve

Bookmark   January 10, 2011 at 3:31PM
dgkritch

Are you baking all as one loaf or splitting into two?

If one: I'd think it's going to take around 40 minutes.
If two: Probably closer to 25.

Check after 20 and tap to see if it sounds hollow and is browning nicely. If not, bake another 5-10 minutes and just keep checking on it.

Deanna

Bookmark   January 10, 2011 at 3:32PM
grainlady_ks

Are you panning it or free-form? If you are panning it, I'd make two loaves because it will probably yield over 2-pounds of dough and you would need a Jumbo-size pan - 10x4-1/2-inches for that amount of dough. If it makes closer to 2-pounds of dough, use a 9x5-inch pan, which are normally used for quick breads.

I agree with Deanna on baking time. I agree with Steve on the 210-degree internal temperature, especially if you are making a single, very large, free-form loaf (that's a lot of dough). If panned, somewhere between 195- and 210-degrees, whether you make one or two loaves.

The next choice is what kind of crust do you want? Baking breads at lower temperatures (325-350) creates a thicker, chewier crust. Higher temperatures (375-425) produces thinner, crisper crusts. Adjust the baking time according to the temperature.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   January 10, 2011 at 4:26PM
goldgirl

Thank you!

I baked this recipe recently in the machine, and decided to try it again using the oven, to see if I like it better. Of course, today it didn't rise very well. So, I took out the dough, kneaded it a few minutes, and have it rising again.

Thanks for pointing out that I should divide the dough, as I didn't really realize the difference in size between the machine pan and my pans!

Bookmark   January 10, 2011 at 5:30PM
grainlady_ks

Goldgirl-

A common bread-making mistake - putting the incorrect amount of dough into the pan. A quick reference for you that may be helpful... :-)

Jumbo Size Pan - 10 x 4-1/2-inches - 4-5 c. flour in the recipe - 2+ pounds of dough

Quick Bread Pan - 9x5-inches - 4 c. flour - 2-pounds dough

Standard Pan - 8-1/2 x 4-1/2" - 3 c. flour - 1-1/2-pound

Medium Pan - 7-1/2 x 3-1/2" - 2-1/2 c. flour - 1-pound

Small Pan - 5-3/4 x 3-3/4" - 1-1/2 c. flour - 8-ounces

Bookmark   January 10, 2011 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Pet Peeve
Over at the Kitchen Table, there is a Pet Peeve thread....
donna_loomis
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
How to Buy Pistachios for a Recipe
I'm planning on trying a recipe I found on Food.com...
Cassandra
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Cool feature I've just noticed (OT)
Has anyone else noticed that you can click on a picture...
sally2_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™