Experience with 2-sided indoor/outdoor fireplace?

gobrunoDecember 16, 2008

We really want to have a 2-sided indoor/outdoor fireplace in our home. Our dining room shares a wall with our screened in porch, and we currently are planning to put in one of the following fireplaces, which can have one side on the interior and one side on the exterior:

http://www.heatnglo.com/products/fireplaces/gasFireplaceDetail.asp?f=05950

http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/2008/HC012_1000_9094_Chateau_DV.pdf

We were wondering if anybody has one of these in their home or has heard anything about it. Our builder has never tried it, and is worried about insulation issues. But, we figure it couldn't be any different than an extra window in the room. We're not sure though if there will be other issues.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mairin

We really wanted to do this as well, but got taken out of our budget. I don't imagine it would be any further insulation burden as long as the exterior one has a well sealed "door". I think they are fabulous especially if you entertain outdoors a lot.

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 1:49PM
oruboris

What is your neighborhood like? People will tend to gather round the outdoor FP, which may mean they have their back to the veiw, if there is one. Just something to consider.

I like the idea of being able to clean the ashes from outdoors, though. And getting twice the visual bang for the amount of wood chopped.

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 9:10PM
Ron Natalie

I have two seperate fireboxes back to back. As interesting as a two sided fire place would sound, it would seem to be a rather difficult technological problem

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 6:06PM
gobruno

Hi Ronnatalie,
I thought about that, but I saw these 2 sided fireplaces and I thought it could be an efficient solution in getting 1 fireplace to serve 2 spaces. I was wondering if you had heard anything negative about the 2 sided fireplace, seen it, or have any personal experience with it. Our builder has never used it on any of his houses, but nobody has asked him about it either. So, I thought I'd ask around. Any info. would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 11:21AM
sierraeast

Ran across this site. You might want to contact them:

Here is a link that might be useful: indoor/outdoor fireplace

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 12:24PM
sierraeast

When researching for gas fireplaces, we found heat & glo to be a quality product. We went with napoleon for cosmetic reasons, but felt both offered the performance levels we were looking at.

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 1:15PM
kateskouros

we're also having two separate fire boxes back to back. for some reason i didn't care for the see-through version. also, if you have a "sealed" door on the outdoor unit how do you get any heat from it?

maybe we're paranoid, but we also considered this to be an easy entry to the house ...as long as the fireplace wasn't on. admittedly my knowledge of these things is less than none so i'm interested to hear of anyone with experience with these units.

1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 1:35PM
sierraeast

at 38,000 btu's, that's more than ample to heat an outdoor patio area. With the fan kit, you'd be scooching them patio chairs back a ways. As far as break in, if they want in bad enough, it will happen simply by breaking a window.

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 2:32PM
sierraeast

Direct vent gas fireplaces have sealed glass. On some, you can get doors for cosmetic purposes. The heat is disbursed through the glass, not an open fire box like on traditional old woodburning fireplaces.

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
How to cut back on cost
We have 6 kids, 4 still at home. We want a large house...
mommabearof5
2 car vs 3 car attached garage price
We are in the beginning stages of trying to figure...
dotydreamhome
Custom floorplan looking for some feedback/suggestions...
Basement: I've been leaning toward making the theater...
goeersn99
8 vs. 9 ft. ceiling for upstairs/kids bedrooms?
New construction, 5500 sq. ft. (basement, first, and...
msmith110705
Clearing land - Forestry mulching
We bought our land and are anxious to get it cleared...
cricket5050
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™