Sewing Piping

lizstanton08November 5, 2008

I am learning to sew using the book "Sew Fast, Sew Easy." My first project is a pillow. This pillow includes piping, and the instructions state to overlap the ends of the piping. I did this, and when I sewed over it, the machine had difficulty feeding and created a clump of thread on the other side. I have one more pillow to make (as a gift to my in-laws). What can I do to prevent the thread from bunching? It only happens when I go over the double layer of piping, and the machine appears to have difficulty moving beyond that area, even when I try to guide it.

I use a Kenmore  model 16231 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02016231000P?vName=For+the+Home&cName=Sewing+Machines+%26+Accessories&sName=Conventional+Sewing+Machines).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

I see no one has answered you yet. I made my mom a needlepoint pillow couple of yrs back-only 1 I've ever done but it had piping around edge. I made sure piping was pinned through so it didn't disappear when I started could run stitch or 2 through it so it won't move back into casing & started on a side as easier to work after you go around & come up to meet where you started, I just measured it & cut it about 1/4 in. longer than I thought I needed by pulling the fabric back do the cut & put the ends of fabric over the starting fabric & edges of fabric ruffle tucked inside itself & finish by hand. It came out beautifully. Trying to sew over it will twist it I think, but I rarely do things like other people so I do what I have to do to get results, maybe has something to do with being a leftie?? Hope someone else has a better explanation. Jan

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 12:36AM
maddielee

If you go to you tube and search 'sewing piping' you get a bunch of videos showing different steps in making piping and attaching piping...

ml

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 1:50PM
travelingmama213

If you can, purchase a piping foot, makes sewing piping so much easier. If not, use a zipper foot and move your needle to the left. You are not sewing over the piping but sewing right next to it.

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 11:55PM
FlamingO in AR

Rather than sewing over it where it joins, I usually trim it and butt the ends of the cording together and overlapping just a bit of the piping material for 1/2 inch or so. Takes a little more time, lots of pinning and measuring and trying it for size, but it's a neater look.

That said, I did overlap the ends of piping on an Amy Butler Weekender bag because it specifically said to, and I don't think my White could have done it, it was pretty thick. The Bernina handled it fine, though. They make a gizmo called a Jean-a-ma-jig, I think, to help you get up and over thicknesses, like you would find on jeans. You may need one of those.

Bookmark   November 8, 2008 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
How to decorate christmas tree, beads ribbons etc
I am trying to decide how to decorate my tree this...
L A
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
Halloween costume for my boobs
Yes I know it's pretty weird but after undergoing breast...
trashywoman
wind spinner patterns
does anyone have patterns for the old time wind spinners...
parker806
Sponsored Products
Deck Light
Design Within Reach
Hudson Reed Chrome Curved Heated Towel Radiator Rail 47.25 x 19.75
Hudson Reed
CAL Lighting Lamp Shades 12 in. Champagne Vertical Piped Scallop Bell Lamp
$35.20 | Home Depot
RainShield Outdoor Side Table Cover
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
VIENTO Curved Pinwheel by Blomus
$13.49 | Lumens