I'm having some issues with my dryer. I should mention I'm renting an apartment so it's not my dryer. It's a GE and it looks fairly new. Last week, I put a load of laundry in to dry and it was going about 30 minutes when I distinctly smelled smoke. I went over to the dryer and opened it and it was very strong. My clothes were absolutely saturated with the smell. The best comparison I can make is if you smell the charred remains after a fire has burnt out. That's what it smelled like. No flame or anything, and the smoke alarm almost directly above it didn't go off and it goes off if I preheat my oven so maybe it wasn't actually smoke.
So of course I immediately put in a request to the complex to inspect it and air dry my clothes because I'm worried about starting a fire. The complex sent over their resident handyman to look at it while I was at work. When I got home, there was a note on my counter that said "the dryer works fine." I was immediately suspicious because it sounds like they just turned it on and saw that it was working, which is true. It turns on fine and takes a few minutes to start smelling.
So after that, I did another load of laundry but this time I was watching it. After about 10 minutes, I hadn't smelt anything major but I opened it and sniffed and definitely smelled the smokey smell again. It wasn't as bad because I had only run it a fraction of the time. I again air dried my clothes because I was afraid there was lint catching on fire.
The lint trap was cleaned out before each use. I pulled the dryer back from the wall to see if there was anything back there and it was clean. The hose seems to be okay. I didn't look inside the dryer because I have no idea what I'm doing.
Also I should note that when I first moved in, the dryer wouldn't dry at all. They had to clear out a lot of blockage in the outside venting. It still takes a long time to dry, more than 80 minutes.
So my question is...does anyone know what this might be? Lint trapped somewhere? Is it likely to start a fire? Do I have any basis on insisting that they send a real repair man to look at it?
And...any advice on the best way to put out a dryer fire? lol. I hate to think it will come to that but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Would a regular fire extinguisher work?