public service announcement-raw oysters
I was watching Untold Stories of the ER the other day. In it, the patient, who was chronic alcoholic and had a compromised liver, had eaten oysters. He was unconscious and dying from shock (septic shock).
When I looked up what the correlation for liver and oysters, I saw that his condition accounted for 95% of all deaths related to seafood. Wow! I would've guessed anaphylaxis to shellfish to be the major culprit. Vibrio vulnificus infection from ingestion has mortality rate of 50%. People who have compromised immune systems or liver disease are the ones at risk. There are cases where just swimming in warm brackish water infected with the bacteria (vibrio vulnificus, cases seen in 2013 (10 deaths)) enter the system via wounds, but ingesting the shellfish that eat vibrio (which you then ingest those shellfish), can also cause fatality. Actually, the mortality rate is less from wounds, "only" 25% of cases.
Mostly, I'm telling you because I am so surprised you never hear "Don't eat raw oysters if you have a damaged liver". Yes, there is the don't eat shellfish unless the month has an r, but that's not enough.
Pass it... Don't eat raw oysters, raw or undercooked seafood if you liver disease or a compromised immune system.
Here is a link that might be useful: CDC fact sheet on vibrio