reMaking window shades, experience anyone?

concretenprimrosesNovember 4, 2009

I have some battered plastic roll up window shades, and I was thinking of replacing with "oil cloth" (the plastic kind from Mexico) and keeping the same roll mechanisms. Has anyone got any tips for me? Seems like I could just make the new shade and use a staple gun to attach it to the roller.

Unfortunately here in NE our oil cloth selection isn't very large, but I don't want to try fabric cuz that bedroom tends to get some mildew on the windows so plastic is the way to go.

tia

kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Seems to me you could use a heavy shower curtain. You could also have the inside in cloth glued on to the plastic.

I'd like to address your mold issue. Does heat get up to your window? We have new double paned argon filled windows. They are very well sealed. In our bedroom we have blinds and curtains. The curtains remained open and the blind remained down. The first year I noticed mold on the bottom of the window when I lifted the blind. Since it couldn't be the window it had to be that there was no air circulation. I lifted the blind so an inch or so, so that the warm air could reach the window, and no more mold.

No matter how good your windows are they will be cool on the inside. If there is any moisture there it will form mold. The warm air dries the moisture.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
How to decorate christmas tree, beads ribbons etc
I am trying to decide how to decorate my tree this...
L A
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
Halloween costume for my boobs
Yes I know it's pretty weird but after undergoing breast...
trashywoman
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™