ceramic stove top

clairdo2December 18, 2008

My sister's stove top cracked, can she use it and how much will a replacement cost?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ya_think

I don't know if it's advisable, but I never had a problem... for years.

Bookmark   December 19, 2008 at 6:27AM
footballmom

My son accidently dropped a bottle of worchester sauce on our stop top from approx 3 feet and cracked our stove top. We did not use it. The stove top was on a GE profile range and the top was warrantied for 5 years so the replacement was covered under warranty. The problem was that GE required their service tech replace the top and we covered the labor. The labor charge for less than one hour of the techs time was 250.00. We paid it, but could not believe that there wasn't an hourly charge instead of this outrageous flat rate charge. This must be how GE always does this as we had a GE fridge with a bad compressor,( the tech said there had been talk of a recall on this particular model as that was his only job at the time, replacing bad compressors on a few GE fridge models). We had to pay the flat rate labor charge again of 250.00 even though the tech was there less than an hour. We tried to have GE send the part to our repair person, but they would not do the work under warranty if their tech did not do the work. Seems to me
GE gets to make money with or without parts being paid for by the consumer....sorry about the tangent, but
Don't use the raange and check to see if the top is covered under warranty. Tops, depending on the range, can cost up to 450.00 according to the tech when ours was replaced, not including labor.......

Bookmark   December 19, 2008 at 9:10AM
davidro1

It is written everywhere that one must not use a cracked top. I don't know what the risks are but it probably has to do with electricity. 20 years ago I used a cracked top without knowing this.

David

Bookmark   December 19, 2008 at 10:25AM
ya_think

Footballmom - Flat rates build in travel time and opportunity cost. And keep customers from complaining that their service man worked slowly or took a phone call. Yes, I'm suret they are set in favor of the company. I wish that when I dropped a cast iron skillet from about the height of your son's worchestershire mishap, I had even considered that my carelessness might be covered by warranty. It was definitely less than five years old. Oh well, live and learn.

Bookmark   December 19, 2008 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
1200cfm oversized hood...Overkill for 30" BlueStar range?
I am getting a 30" BlueStar RNB range for my kitchen...
ILoveCookie
Help installing power cord to 48inch dual wolf range
I'm trying to install the power cord, not sure how...
rubyrashel
Bread baking in the Blue Star Range
We are in the process of building a new home and though...
mullde
Wolf is increasing the BTUs on front burners
When I called the Wolf showroom in Atlanta, I was told...
charon70
INDUCTION wars: Electrolux freestanding or Bosch slide in?
Hi everyone! We have our induction range choice down...
Kiwigem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™