Craft show advice from Etsy Part II

mjowestNovember 29, 2011

here's a more recent discussion for your viewing pleasure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy Craft Show Advice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandma_bonnie

Just finished reading - they have the same issues with greeting or not - personally, I greet all that I think might be interested in my products and they are under $9 - The one gal who reads a book!!! That's awful!!! I made $1250 last Fri ad Sat (6 hours each day)and I almost lost my voice... I'm till getting phone and e-mail orders today - yep, I'm a greeter...

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 10:20AM
concretenprimroses

I'm with you Grandma bonnie! Both as a seller and as a shopper. I added my 2 cents to the etsy post, and I also want to say here that at the show I set up at in September when my friend covered our booth and I looked around, some of the venders seemed to refuse to speak to me. And when I was on vacation accross the country once, the seller actually ran out of her booth when I started to compliment her on her mosaic birdbath. I am a middle aged tall but otherwise ordinary looking woman, no deformities or anything lol. Does any one know why venders wouldn't speak to a person or actually run away? Especially the same day when shoppers were talking to me and buying from me, I know I wasn't looking odd that day or anything.
Kathy

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 11:46AM
nonacook

I don't want a vendor to hover over me, but I do like to have them say 'something' and then leave me to look.
I was usually painting in the booth and when someone stopped, I would say "If you have questions let me know"!
That worked for us. We did about 25 shows a year for 15 years. Bill and I both would just then let them look....
I can't imagine why anyone would leave while you were trying to talk to them!

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 3:55PM
patty_cakes

I think you should at least acknowledge a 'potential' customer by saying hello~~then walk away. ;o)

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 9:58PM
christopherh

I will say hello to each and every customer who stops in my booth. If the weather's bad I will also thank them for coming out. And since I sell something different, people won't stop unless they think they have a need for my product, which is a method to hang decorations, or plants, or wind chimes etc, from vinyl siding without putting any holes in the siding.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 8:13AM
grandma_bonnie

Chris - I like the addition of thanking the customer - you don't post much but your thoughts and ideas are always welcome and timely. You are an asset to this forum - thank you.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 10:03AM
christopherh

Thanks Bonnie, I appreciate that.

I'm usually busy getting ready for shows as I do about 40 a year. I'm leaving for New Hampshire this afternoon to set up at my last show of 2011. A 2 day event.

Then I curl up in front of the woodstove and let winter in Vermont happen until late January when the show season starts all over again.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 6:16AM
concretenprimroses

Christopherh
Where is your show? I am busy on Saturday, but Sunday, who knows! Would your product work on aluminium siding?
Kathy

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 7:01AM
concretenprimroses

bump!

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™