Bosh dishwasher leaking/overflowing

Jack223December 8, 2012

Model Number: SHU5312uc/06 Brand: Bosch Age: 6-10 years

I have a Bosh dishwasher model #SHU5312UC/06. That has begun to act up.

The first symptom occurred about two weeks ago, when the circulator pump failed to shut off. It ran all night, long enough for it to begin to smell (burnt electric odor). Ran the self diagnostic routine and found no codes, but the diagnostic would not finish. The circulator pump ran even though the sump was empty (by sound).

Pulled the bottom access panel and found water. Drained about two quarts. Ran the diagnostic again and noticed a leak that appeared to be coming from the junction of the motor/circulator pump assembly. Bought and installed a new motor, shaft seal, impeller and O ring. No more leaks from the pump. (I pressure tested it with rubber stoppers and compressed air).

I am now showing a diagnostic error code "4" and, on the fill cycle, I have water squirting out of the vent hole in the translucent plastic housing on the left side of the machine that connects the water inlet hose, drain pump hose and drain hose. Directly to the right of this (toward the front of the machine) is a blue plastic housing that holds the water leakage float and what I believe to be the water level sensor. Both switches seem to be free and working properly when tested with an amp meter.

I�ve also sight checked both parts of the control board for obvious fault, and can find no evidence of a burnt spot on the board or loose/poor solder connections.

I�m stumped, and would appreciate any help any of you can offer. I�ll try and attach two pictures, one of the pump leak area (believed to be repaired), and one of the drain assembly where water is now coming out. Beginning to think I should have listened to the wife and sprung for a new machine

Thanks in advance for any help.

jack

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

You sound very knowlesgeable. Contact Bosch.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 8:49AM
Jumpilotmdm

Find a large trash can and dispose of it. Their DW's are difficult to service and unreliable. Their advice is very suspect. [Don't pre-clean your dishes, at all] [Don't run hot water at the sink]
TRASH!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:55PM
dadoes

Find a large trash can and dispose of it. Their DW's are difficult to service and unreliable. Their advice is very suspect. [Don't pre-clean your dishes, at all] [Don't run hot water at the sink]
TRASH! What relation does prerinsing (or not) and purging the hot water line (or not) have to Bosch dishwashers (or any brand) being "trash?"

Prerinsing shouldn't be necessary with any modern dishwasher. I didn't prerinse when using a 1975 KitchenAid, surely not going to start now.

Purging the water line is a good thing for machines that don't have assured on-board water heating.

Purging is not necessary for those that do have on-board heating. Enzymes in dishwasher detergents nowadays work best at moderate temperatures - higher than about 125F can be too hot, impede enzyme action. Starting with a cool fill and slowly heating to a target temp gives a longer wash period, more time for enzymes to work as the temp ramps up.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 10:05PM
jakvis

If you have water coming out of the vent hole in the drain device you probably have some blockage. The blockage will cause back pressure.

I agree with Dadoes regarding the pre-rinse and the starting with cooler water due to the enzymes in the newer detergents dieing off at temps above 130F.

The only thing to throw away is jumpilotmdm's statement.
Your SHU5312UC/06 looks to be a 1999 model so it certainly can't be said to be a bad product.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:07AM
bulldinkie

I agree junk it...

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
36 Inch Wolf Range and Fridge
I'm looking at range's for my wife's soon to be kitchen...
amexblackg5
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
48" Wolf, Thermador or Bluestar...or something else?
Looking into purchasing a 48" range. Wolf: Classic....
wren21
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™