how to clean this picture...?

vieja_gwOctober 2, 2013

I have a 3ft. x 5ft. framed print I got at K-Mart years ago & I have so many ask from a distance if it is a painting (is of a Spanish senorita) as it is so real looking & pretty & I love it!
Problem: over the years: It has gotten dust & grime on it & I would love to find a way to clean it without wiping out the picture! Just dusting is not enough!

Would appreciate any ideas/help.... or is it futile & I should just leave it alone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

Use a soft paint brush and brush gently, try it in one corner and see how that works.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 11:51AM
vieja_gw

christine1950: I shall try a brush.... though I suspect it has more than just dust on the surface now over the years.I know it may be silly to try saving this cheap paper reproduction... but I have always loved it & it really is pretty... have to get up close to tell it is not a real painting & the frame is pretty also! I wonder if when I purchased it, I could have sprayed it with something to give it a permanent finish that could be cleaned .. too late for that now though!

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 1:27PM
marie_ndcal

Do you have a Hobby Lobby? in your area? or even an Art Gallery? Just be honest with the dealers and tell them it is not expensive but you do like it and want to know how to clean it. Most will help you are. Do you have college that teaches art? Some colleges have art galleries also. Check the newspapers for art shows --just some ideas Hope this helps

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 4:51PM
ogoopogo

Have you tried vacuuming the picture? Get out your dust attachment & vacuum. I regularly vacuum my oil paintings so why not prints?? You could also try a soft air blast like those keyboard/ camera dusters?

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
post your april challenge pics here: new growth!
Welcome to the April Challenge! You are challenged...
concretenprimroses
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™