Boric acid - SO confused!

melaskaNovember 13, 2012

I've been researching all over and am finding conflicting info.

We are all shelled in...we have mold growing in some areas of the wood studs. We've had a horribly wet summer here in Valdez, Alaska.

I came upon a solution to TREAT mold: (From eHow.com)

1/2 cup boric acid powder

1/2 cup white vinegar

1 cup water

Here's a solution to PREVENT: (eHow.com)

Combine one part hydrogen peroxide with three parts water in bucket. Stir thoroughly.

Add 2 cups boric acid for every gallon of the water/peroxide mixture and stir thoroughly.

Then I see a 2-year old thread on Gardenweb where someone told a poster that you cannot store peroxide mixed with anything in a closed container.

We were planning to put the mixture in a Hudson sprayer so isn't that a closed container??? Or if I should mix the solution in a regular spray bottle?

We are getting the appropriate half mask respirator with splash goggles and a P-100 cartridge filter. I gave the supplier the MSDS info for boric acid.

We are planning to spray the 4.5' high crawl space w/plenty of ventilation as we do so. We also plan to put in reinforced 10 ml sheeting.

A question I was asked by someone: "Aren't you worried about all those boric acid fumes seeping up into your house?" Is that an issue?

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

Not an issue on the fumes.
A "closed container" is an unvented one. The h202 will probably bubble. If in a closed container, it could explode. But, you might not need to pump your system....
Just vent as needed.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
building over an old leach field
Perhaps this is county specific, but I was talking...
divine_serenity_gw
Need Layout Ideas
Hello - we are purchasing the lot shown below. As you...
llandry1800
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
Septic System Allowance
Hello, Has anyone on the forum had an allowance for...
kelsey_grow
Foundation parging for new house construction
We are getting a new house built for October. The builder...
Kenny LY
Sponsored Products
Harris 16 oz. Boric Acid Roach Powder with Lure - HRP-16
$18.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™