To Etsy or Not to Etsy

creepfanOctober 28, 2008

That is the question. It's only 20 cents to list an item for 4 months. Then they take 3.5% of the sale price. Has anyone around here sold on Etsy, buy on Etsy or think it's good or bad? I have no knowledge of it and it was just suggested to me the other day. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvs2click

I tried Etsy last winter - listed about 25 things. I didn't sell anything, but I can't say it was a bad experience. It's cheap enough, so it wasn't painful on the wallet. I might try again this winter if I have time to list things. It was fun making up a "store". The link to my now-empty store is below.

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: My etsy store

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 10:23PM
oddie

I tried selling on etsy, wasnt a bad experience, but like arlene I did not sell a thing, was easy enough to list iteams and the price was supper cheap, I have read about crafters who sell lots on etsy, maybe its just my type of crafts! nothing in my store right now latter when I have more time I might try selling some vintage jewerly, and table linens I have and old dress patterns for sewing.
there are tons of pages and iteams that are listed go pretty fast throu the pages.
give it a try nothing much to lose but your time, and 20 cents to list a iteam, some of the crafters here do sell on etsy hopefully they will post.
oddie

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 7:37AM
FlamingO in AR

I sell on Etsy and I buy there, too. I love it, it gives me an outlet for my sewn things and it gives me a reason to keep making more things. The fees seem negligible and I'm having fun, so I consider it a success. I won't post a link to my shop because I don't want anyone to think I'm advertising, but my shop name is FlossieBlossoms if anyone wants to look at it.

Making listings takes a bit of time, but if you make similar things, cutting and pasting info into listings makes it a lot faster.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 8:07AM
creepfan

Thanks for your input everyone! I have the same feelings.. since it's pretty cheap to list I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thinking I'll list whatever doesn't sell at my last show, since that show is the weekend after Thanksgiving and I don't have any more shows after that. So whatever I have left I'll post on Etsy. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 11:33AM
honeysuckleridge

To have great sales on Etsy you have to post something every day...keep on the top of it and work at it...get a following and it will work out.
It's not Ebay...it's a lot more work.

Best of luck,
ginger

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 7:27PM
leveta

I just got my Home Companion and there is a story in it on how Esty got started.

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 10:46AM
creepfan

I will take that advice, Ginger. Thank you! Home Companion, huh? Well maybe that will bring more customers to it!

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™