Self Appliance Install - Possible?

duttyDecember 3, 2012

Greetings All.

If I was to install certain appliances on my own, would that void the warranty?

I have the opportunity to get a floor model Miele refrigerator and induction cooktop but if I purchase them now I have to house them for 6 months in my storage space because we aren't ready for appliances yet. When the time comes, can I just do them myself or do I need to hire a professional? I wouldn't have considered it in the past BUT I've had issues in my last two homes of appliances being installed wrong by "professionals." I always figure that no one cares and is as anal as me so maybe this is something I could tackle. But, I don't want to end up without a warranty on a 6K refrigerator!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

No, installation yourself doesn't void a warranty - but is your Miele a built-in fridge? Those are much harder to install.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 9:17PM
Tom2013

I have installed my appliances and never had a warranty issue. I too like things done right and I find that in most cases it may take me longer to install but the end result is much better. It is hard to find good contractors. I have had more bad than good.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 9:31PM
jwvideo

Read the actual warranty. I think I've seen a couple of them -- on dishwashers, IIRC -- which had wording about having to use a company certified installer. One of them said something about getting extra years on the warranty for appliances installed by an installer certified by the company.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 12:53AM
doug_gb

I've installed all my own appliances - Viking built in fridge, 36" range, Miele DW, and Smeg wall oven.

IMO, unless a dealer installs alot of these - your probably going to get some guy who doesn't know any more than you do.

The main item is to get the installation manuals (most can be found online as pdf's). You have to read and reread and understand how to level the appliance, and where the outlets and water supplies have to be located.

Even if you don't install yourself, you need to make sure the electrician and plumber know, cause many of these appliances have very specific locations for connections.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 9:18AM
weedmeister

I've never heard of DIY installations voiding a warranty. But I have heard that Miele offers to double the warranty if the unit is installed by their own people.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:11PM
jwvideo

Yeah, it's Miele I was thinking of that doubles the warranty when you use their certified installers for their DWs. I can't recall who had the other warranty I saw, only that it had something in it about using company installers. While I've always done my own installs and I would be surprised to find a provision that outright forbids DIY installation, I also have been surprised by things I find in fine print.

Might be of concern to the OP because he will be holding the appliances for six months before install. Sometimes warranties run from date of purchase, sometimes from delivery to the customer, and sometimes run from the install. I think it best to read the document and find out beforehand. Who knows what evil lurks in the fine print if you do not read it?

This post was edited by JWVideo on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 16:32

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Buy Wolf or Elux wall oven if don't use self clean?
I've read all the horror stories about the blue enamel...
golfergirl29
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
wcutiew
Fhiaba column refrigerator freezer anyone?
Has anyone seen these in person or have in their kitchen?...
Dietitian
How to decide on refrigeration? High versus low end.
We are a family of 4 with growing kids; cook almost...
acaba
760 cfm vs 900 cfm
I purchased a 36 Jenn Air (6 burners) range. I doubt...
abick2
Sponsored Products
Hydro Systems Isabella 6636 Tub
Modern Bathroom
Sample-Allure Lazy River Glass Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Artcraft Lighting AC8311RU Tudor Rust Outdoor Wall Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
Hang Pot - Orange - Wallter
$125.00 | HORNE
Electric 3.5-quart Stainless Steel Deep Fryer
Overstock.com