What is this thing called?

cork2winOctober 24, 2008

Can someone please help me identify what you would call the bar that is used to hang this macrame hanging from in the linked picture?

I know I could just use a dowel rod or something, but I've seen fancier versions of bars like this and I have not idea what to search for, either at the store or online. Does this "bar" have an official name?

By the way, I didn't make this, I just found the picture online to demonstrate what I'm asking about.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It looks like a large wooden dowel that someone stained a dark color. You can find those wooden dowels at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, or Home Depot and Lowe's. You can buy finials to attach to the ends. You could also buy a decorative curtain rod with finials and cut it down to a shorter length.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

    Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 3:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I agree w/ Kudzu, the more fancier ones are curtain rods....

    Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 4:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FlamingO in AR

Macrame looks nice tied onto driftwood, too. But yes, that's a stained hardwood dowel. When you buy one, look down the length of it and turn it, check for warping.

    Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 9:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can also use wooden beads on ends of painted or stained towel, or ceramic or even metal beads. Imporant thing to remember is the dowel should match size of project. In the pic shown the project could be 18 in. long then need 1/2 to 3/4 in dowel. If it's only 8 in. long then need probably 1/4 in dowel. I made xmas trees 1 yr & used 1/4 dowel across the bottom with red wooden beads on ends glued on. Driftwood is excellent choice for top of macrame hanging item. The dowel used to come in about 36 in. lengths & would be box of them with dividers for the different sizes,ask where they are at or you'll probably miss them. Not too expensive either. Of course if people come around & stick a flag in your yard for 4th or with flower attached for Mother's day advertising homes for sale, their bottled water, etc. Then get dowel free!!Could cut down a left over brass or white round curtain rod & put metal decorative beads on ends(file ends of metal smooth so don't get cut) Wooden hobby horse handle too!! Good Luck! Jan

    Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 12:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
Halloween costume for my boobs
Yes I know it's pretty weird but after undergoing breast...
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™