Oven shutting off when timer shuts off?

KAREN WICKHAMDecember 23, 2013

I was having a discussion about ovens this week end with my sister and sister in law. They were telling me that when they are baking some thing in the oven and the timer they have set for the baking goes off the oven also shuts off. They claim that they are not set on time/bake. Is this right? I know one was a Kitchen aid and I'm not sure about the other brand, Fridgidare or Whirlpool. I find this rather strange and wouldn't like this concept. Is this how new ovens are now?
TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjhockeyfan325

The oven in my last place (GE Profile) did that and it drove me crazy! I had to constantly remind myself to set a timer and not the "cook time".

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 5:31PM
xc60

Our Kitchenaid range we bought in 2010 did not turn off with the timer. Our Breville toaster oven does shut off with the timer, but I've never had a range oven turn off with the timer.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 5:32PM
patriceny

My Whirlpool has a cook timer and just a "kitchen" timer. If you set the wrong one that could happen.

You can also inadvertently shut off the oven if you hit "cancel" when the kitchen timer goes off. That seems to cancel out everything.....

I've only had this one for a little over a year, and it took me awhile to figure out how to avoid just this exact problem. I kept using the kitchen timer because I didn't want the oven to automatically shut off, but then I'd hit cancel to stop the timer from beeping and that turned everything off anyway.

This post was edited by patriceny on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 9:12

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 9:10AM
jellytoast

You guys are making me very happy that I have a simple gas range with no automatic anything!! That really sounds like a PITA.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 10:43AM
lori_inthenw_gw

"You can also inadvertently shut off the oven if you hit "cancel" when the kitchen timer goes off. That seems to cancel out everything..... "

We've had our "new" oven for almost a year and that still trips me up now and then. Somebody didn't work very hard on their user interface!

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one, though!

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 10:46AM
dadoes

On my GE Profile, the minute timer is labeled Kitchen Timer (and is subtitled On/Off) and the timed baking function is Cooking Time.

Setting the minute timer is matter of pressing Kitchen Timer, entering the time. Press Start to trigger it immediately, or press nothing else and it'll start after a few seconds delay.

Pressing the separate Cancel/Off button turns off the timer, and the oven, if the set time has elapsed to beeping ... which is a logical function being as one would reasonably want to turn the oven off at end of the minute timer cycle.

Otherwise, press Kitchen Timer when the time has elapsed to shut off the beeping without affecting the oven.

If the time is not elapsed, press Kitchen Timer once to pause it (as if to reset the time), then press a 2nd time to cancel the timer.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 11:24AM
sail_away

On my Jenn-Air wall oven, the oven does not turn off when the timer ends. However, there is a separate setting you can select to have the oven turn to "keep warm" when the time expires. My problem with the timer is that you can only hear it if you're in the kitchen---my old timer I could hear from my office. So now I either have to stay in the kitchen or take a separate timer with me to remind me to go back to the kitchen because the timer will ring shortly. Overall, though, I find the controls pretty intuitive.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
How do you get deals on high-end appliances?
I'm pretty certain that I know what I want for my appliances....
carecooks
NY - Long Island Kitcken Appliance (Berta/Electrolux/etc...)
Hi All... I've been lucking for the past 6 months while...
nyli2014
Bluestar Precious Metals - Infused copper
Greetings, I am getting ready to order a 36" 6...
pitcom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™