Determining used appliance value?

katy-louDecember 23, 2012

We are in the midst of a remodel and replacing all of our appliances. We're looking to donate our existing appliances, but not sure how to determine fair mkt value for them Ideas of how to determine this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

Appliances are just like cars, only worse when it comes to resale value. As soon as they are out of the box and in your home, whether you've used them or not, they lose half of their value. If they are 5 years old or younger, and in "like new" condition, you might get 1/3 of the original value for them. Any older, and you start getting to the $50 territory. Or offering them for free. The only exception to that is some pro style name brands. Then 1/4 to 1/8 of the original value for older ones might be in effect if they are in good condition.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 4:37PM
nixit71

I found the best way to determine FMV for your appliances is to search Craigslist. Run searches on the serial # or make/model and see what people are asking. There is a market for EVERYTHING. I remodeled my kitchen and most of my white Whirlpool appliances dated back to 1999. I sold them all on CL. Someone gave me $60 for my dishwasher and used it for parts because ordering the two parts needed for his broken DW would've been much more than just buying mine and junking the rest.

I'm assuming the charity will haul your appliances, which saves you a lot of hassle . I was lucky to have my contractor move all of mine into my garage, which made it easy for folks to haul themselves.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 11:35AM
katy-lou

I have them in a pod right now but if going to donate would be nicer to do before the end of the year. Have the cabinets, solid surface counter tops and sink / grohe lady lux faucet too.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 2:56PM
azzalea

If you google donation valuation of used appliances, you'll find some sites that give you a range of values.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 8:58PM
texasgal47

I also used Craigslist prices to determine current market value for my range, fridge & OTR microwave. All three sold immediately. Those are the prices I would use to determine FMV when donating appliances.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?
I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our...
abick2
need help - with Miele DW and Ikea Sektion panel
Hi All, Getting a Sektion kitchen. I want a Miele...
Kathy Rohde
Wolf gas/induction modules
We must make a commitment to appliances next week for...
judydenver
Magnetic SS Refrigerator
My wife and I keep going back and forth on the issue...
greasetrap
Hood & Venting for Bluestar Rangetop...Zephyr or Bluestar?
In deciding between the 36" Bluestar cooktop and...
missmeghan702
Sponsored Products
Flamingo Framed Wall Decor - 18W x 24H in. - WAL-EYM-H-F
$109.00 | Hayneedle
Dutch Iris Carmen Bulb - Set of 40
$14.99 | zulily
Whirlpool 1.7 cubic foot Over-the-Range White Microwave
Overstock.com
Dog Kennel: PetSafe Cottageview Dog Kennel
$294.38 | Hayneedle
Monarch French Gold One-Light 5-Inch Wall Sconce with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
$210.00 | Bellacor