Looking for chalkboard cloth???

deedeebakerOctober 27, 2008

Does anyone know where you can purchase chalkboard cloth? I've also hear it referred to as oil cloth. It's used to make the placemats for kids. I would really like to try and make two for my nephews. I live in Pennsylvania. I know I could "google" it but I thought I would start here as everyone here seems to be a great help to start out. Thanks!!

Oh, and how hard are these to make? I don't sew so I guess I'll have to learn...LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandma_bonnie

I googled it and here is one...
http://www.habermanfabrics.com/scart/Special_Use___Other.htm
If you hae a few minutes, google, "chalkboard fabric"

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 10:00AM
donner

I bought some at our Hancock Fabric Store.

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 8:17PM
sunnyca_gw

Sometimes a dimestore(are there any left?) or hardware store has it. I never heard of chalkboard cloth- we use paint for chalkboard. So this is oilcloth. I've even seen it at a nursery where you buy plants, probably for picnic tables. It comes on rolls like the 6 ft indoor-outdoor carpet. Maybe your fabric store, I remember relatives had oilcloth on kitchen table yrs ago. Hope you find some.Jan

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 2:51AM
grandma_bonnie

Jan - evidently it isn't oilcloth. Here is what it says...
CHALKBOARDÂ FABRIC
Color(s): Black. Width: 47.5". Encourage creative doodling by kids or adults! This lightweight and erasable material can be sponged clean with water to renew (grease will spot). Material is heavier than oilcloth but still flexible, and can also be used as a chalkboard.

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 8:40AM
sunnyca_gw

Wow! Thanks for telling me grandma bonnie! The site I went to was habermann's & had the placemats & you could see the fabric. it is similar to oilcloth in looks but more silky. Will have to see if JoAnne's has it. GF has 2 young grandkids-nice xmas gift if not too expensive. Good Luck with your project ddb. Would love to see a pic!! Jan

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 2:19AM
deedeebaker

Thanks everybody for all of your information and help. When I do find it I just have to figure out how you do it since I don't sew. And I don't know the first thing about sewing on a machine. Oh boy! I'm better off if I'm shown since I'm a very visual person. I need all the luck I can get...LOL

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
Can anyone recommend a spray paint for Styrofoam?
I know it exists, as I've used it. I need to spray...
linnea56
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™