How and what do you say to craft show customers?

marti8aOctober 31, 2010

Or really, the browsers - when they want to take photos or sit with a pencil and paper and copy your original poetry?

I must admit, I was flustered, there were a lot of people around and I just didn't want to be rude and say no when a lady asked if she could copy my poem. Afterward, I thought I should have said in a joking voice - sure, you can have a copy for $10. But seriously, what do you say to people?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Was it a poem you made up? If so I think I would have said, oh, it's copyrighted so it will cost you! And laugh!! Would at least make her think but some would want it anyway, if you got it off the web & it isn't copyrighted it's fair game. Oh, photos I think I would have a sign & point to it- No Photos- Thanks! Jan

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:05AM
marti8a

Yes, it was my original poem. I had done it in calligraphy and didn't even think to write on it that it was copyrighted. I could really kick myself.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:30AM
mariend

Somewhere there is an excellent posting on what to say and how to handle these people. I think it is something like What I heard at a Craft show or something like that. If this is your first show, don't be afraid to ask other sellers, especially the more experience ones. Don't be afraid to say, no pictures please and yes I do mind if you copy this. Sometimes you have to be rude with a smile, if you know what I mean. Maybe you can either get or have made tiny stickers the is copyrighted. Just think of it as a learning experience. Oh, yes it is good to have a helper with you, to watch your stuff, and watch the cashbox. Times have changed.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 3:41PM
christopherh

I learned a long time ago these people are not afraid of insulting you, so don't be afraid to stand your ground about your work. If it's all original work, put out a sign stating your work is copyrighted.

If my wife made up a poem and displayed it and somebody was copying it, she would quietly just pick it up and hold it. And let the copier say something.

One of the biggest problems in this business is "crafters" who can't BUY an original idea. So they troll shows looking for something to copy. And if you have something different, you must protect it. When I made house numbers I had frames designed by me.

I had this sign in my booth prominently displayed.

"I have a copyright on my frames and a pitbull of a lawyer!"

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
yooooo - hooooo
Merry Christmas everyone. Miss the old days at this...
grandma_bonnie
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
Sponsored Products
Lace Lattice Green Outdoor Pillow
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
WA 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Eastwood Ottoman - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Kraus KBU23-KPF2120-SD20 Double Basin Undermount Kitchen Sink with Faucet Multic
$579.95 | Hayneedle
Car Headrest Multi-Hanger
$8.99 | zulily
Thuya Rainwater Tank by Twist Lighting
$593.60 | Lumens
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Leather Shag Red 4 ft. x 6 ft.
Home Depot
Arts and Crafts Cottage Oak Media Chest
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™