acorn -preserve and display one acorn

imscatteredSeptember 30, 2008

Yes, one acorn. I have just a handful of wonderful plump acorns that I collected from a special tree blown down by a wind storm. How do I preserve them? With that poly spray? The caps have come off - what to glue them with?

THEN, I am making a gift of one each to two people who were also sentimental about the tree. Other than just hand it to them....I need ideas of some presentation. I imagine it will be sitting on their desk at work. Tree is gone, nothing left no more acorns or leaves.

Thank you in advance.

Scat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Any seed type things I usually put in 200 degree oven for few minutes-kills any bugs inside the acorns,do it with pinecones,any kind of seed pods,even old nuts that I'm going to spray paint. I used to make small wall plaques of natural things. Don't know how large they are but could get about 3 in round plaques from Michael's & stain & attach. I think hot glue would work for reattaching cap to acorn & for attaching to plaque. then spray the whole thing with clear acrylic. Date & name kind of tree or address where tree was on bottom. Could use as paperweight I guess. I have 2 3x5 long plaques hanging up in my house with dried acorns, a flower look hard pod from neighbor's tree, tiny pinecone looking things about 1/2- 3/4 in. long & couple of other things. They look like they are expensive but weren't. Used med. stain to match furniture in the room, fruitwood I think & sprayed the whole thing with clear acrylic. They look same as day I did them. I wipe the dried parts carefully with damp cloth,furniture polish on the wood. Hope this helps. Jan

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 1:49AM
paintingfool

A friend of mine is painting acorns to look like snowmen, she made necklaces out of them. Don't know anything about preserving them though.
B

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 7:49PM
imscattered

Sunnyca thanks for your thoughts. This helps me. It is pretty crazy to try to something with one acorn isn't it?? Wish I could have gathered more. These are food for thought!!
Scat

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 7:50PM
adellabedella_usa

Check out this blog. There are a few cute things with acorns that may give you an idea. I think a small ornament based on something like the necklace at the bottom of the page might be a nice way to display it. You could attach some sort of hangtag with a poem or rememberence on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acorns

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 11:34PM
sunnyca_gw

After looking at size of most of those acorns Adellabedella listed site for, they are really small. I was thinking of large ones like some of trees out here have. The caps are about 2 in. across. If they are tiny sure won't fill up much space!! Maybe you could get a small glass domed stand & hang from little wire stand inside. Like dolls are sometimes placed in. Jan

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 1:01AM
More Discussions
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
Thinking of learning decoupage....
........but some questions are stopping me. 1. Must...
pink_warm_mama_1
Is Petal Porcelain still available ?
Remember it ? Do they still make it ? It was made to...
toomuchglass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™