Help with a Vent Hood Please

ashikDecember 27, 2013

I have been doing much reading on here and am embarrassed to say that I don't know what I have and what I need. I currently have an under cabinet microwave hanging over a 30"BlueStar cooktop. I want to take out the micro (and place it/or smaller one elsewhere) and put in an adequate vent in its place. There is a duct in the cabinet above the micro and a "flap"?? outside which I am assuming is where it is vented through.
Soooooo - what is an internal fan? Do I need it? What is an external blower? Is that what I have?
I am hoping for a sleek minimal stainless look. I liked the London Flat from Prizer but it seems to only come in 36" and I need a 30" I also liked a Zephr Terrazo but am not sure about the hanging utensils as well as the stainless panel above the shelf - not sure if that means it has to hang lower and thus be too close to the cooktop?
I hope you can help me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakvis

Your Microwave/hood probably was about a 200CFM capacity. You can find all kinds of 30inch SS hoods in a 200 to 300CFM range under $200.
Typically the hood is mounted 24 to 30 inches above the cooktop.
I suggest you narrow down your search and then check the installation manual online for the suggested mounting.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 3:50PM
weissman

The good news is that your MW was vented outside and you have a duct. You need to figure out what the diameter of the duct is - that will limit the power of the hood you get - unless you plan to replace the duct. With a Bluestar cooktop you may want a somewhat more powerful hood - 600 CFM if your ducting is at least 6". Kobe makes reasonably priced hoods that work with 6" ducts. Generally hoods are mounted 30" - 36" above the cooktop. An internal blower is one that comes included in the hood. Another option is a hood liner with an external blower mounted outside - possibly quieter but more expensive and difficult to service.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 4:38PM
snoonyb

A low profile hood will have the blower/s attached in an enclosure which is recessed into the cabinet above.

The recommended venting of your appliance by the MFG, should be followed.
A 6" vent pipe will not support the volumetric efficiency required to properly vent a 600CFM blower and will shorten it's life.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Bosch Benchmark slide-in induction range
I am pretty committed to going induction with our remodel....
steph2000
Need advice on combining induction and gas
This is my first post. Please forgive the length or...
jdsb2
Capital Range Customer Service
Mostly people write on the internet forums, such as...
willinak
24" refrigerator. Liebherr, Fagor, LG, etc?
We live in Boston. We are in the market for 24"....
ttkogi
Anybody seen/used the new Bosch Benchmark appliances?
I think they are shipping these now. I have largely...
Juno_barks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™