Help with a Vent Hood Please

ashikDecember 27, 2013

I have been doing much reading on here and am embarrassed to say that I don't know what I have and what I need. I currently have an under cabinet microwave hanging over a 30"BlueStar cooktop. I want to take out the micro (and place it/or smaller one elsewhere) and put in an adequate vent in its place. There is a duct in the cabinet above the micro and a "flap"?? outside which I am assuming is where it is vented through.
Soooooo - what is an internal fan? Do I need it? What is an external blower? Is that what I have?
I am hoping for a sleek minimal stainless look. I liked the London Flat from Prizer but it seems to only come in 36" and I need a 30" I also liked a Zephr Terrazo but am not sure about the hanging utensils as well as the stainless panel above the shelf - not sure if that means it has to hang lower and thus be too close to the cooktop?
I hope you can help me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakvis

Your Microwave/hood probably was about a 200CFM capacity. You can find all kinds of 30inch SS hoods in a 200 to 300CFM range under $200.
Typically the hood is mounted 24 to 30 inches above the cooktop.
I suggest you narrow down your search and then check the installation manual online for the suggested mounting.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 3:50PM
weissman

The good news is that your MW was vented outside and you have a duct. You need to figure out what the diameter of the duct is - that will limit the power of the hood you get - unless you plan to replace the duct. With a Bluestar cooktop you may want a somewhat more powerful hood - 600 CFM if your ducting is at least 6". Kobe makes reasonably priced hoods that work with 6" ducts. Generally hoods are mounted 30" - 36" above the cooktop. An internal blower is one that comes included in the hood. Another option is a hood liner with an external blower mounted outside - possibly quieter but more expensive and difficult to service.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 4:38PM
snoonyb

A low profile hood will have the blower/s attached in an enclosure which is recessed into the cabinet above.

The recommended venting of your appliance by the MFG, should be followed.
A 6" vent pipe will not support the volumetric efficiency required to properly vent a 600CFM blower and will shorten it's life.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Water Pooling on Bottom of Refrigerator and Leaking
Hi: I have a Kenmore Pro 48 inch side by side Refrigerator....
Rob Fleming
DCS double wall oven--reviews?
I'm in the market for a double wall oven and saw a...
anna_chosak
Wolf is increasing the BTUs on front burners
When I called the Wolf showroom in Atlanta, I was told...
charon70
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
Sponsored Products
Vitra by Nameeks Matrix Bidet - VITRA 5144-003-0288
$586.91 | Hayneedle
Compass Mosaic Fire Pit / Beverage Cooler Table - 21-1336
Hayneedle
Camden Outdoor Pendant by Kichler
$313.50 | Lumens
Hampton Bay 1-Light White Recessed Can Light Adapter for Linear Track or Direct-
$12.96 | Home Depot
White Posturepedic Maximum Protection Mattress Encasement
$54.99 | zulily
Meridian Sage 42-Inch x 84-Inch Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$19.95 | Bellacor
Thermocast Utility Sinks Kensington Drop-in Acrylic 25x22x12 1-Hole Single Bowl
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Dynamix Rugs Royalty Black/Brown 5
$84.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™