Peach Schnapps for Grand Marnier in cake?

dedtiredJanuary 1, 2014

Book Club is meeting at my house tomorrow evening. We read "Garlic and Sapphires" by Ruth Reichl, which was excellent and I recommend it. It is the story of her years as the restaurant critic at the NYT.

In the book she includes recipes, so I thought I would make a cake that is the final recipe in the book. It is her Last-Minute Chocolate Cake, which calls for 2T of Grand Marnier. I don't have any and don't want to buy it just for one cake. I do have Peach Schnapps. Could I use that instead or do you think it would be gross. Yes, I know it does not taste like oranges! Orange and chocolate are a pretty classic taste combination.

What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Last-Minute Chocolate Cake

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pkramer60

Can you mooch a bit from a neighbor? Or do you have any orange extract? Triple sec? If no to both I would just leave it out. Peach does not sound good to me.

Orange marmalade might work.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 11:55AM
dedtired

I think mooching is my only hope. I may just buy some fancy cookies from the bakery and forget this idea.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 12:40PM
pkramer60

Call the state store and see if they have any in the single serve size bottles.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 12:48PM
TobyT

I say treat yourself to a small bottle - it will literally last forever and a tot, warmed in a snifter will warm you up like nothing else on a damp, rainy day, or a snowstorm, or a power outage...

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 1:09PM
cloudy_christine

No no no. No peach schnapps.
Get a tiny bottle of Grand Marnier tomorrow (the state store has them, only about 1/4 cup). If you can't find that, or any other miniature orange liqueur, just use plain brandy.
Happy new year, Pam!

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 1:29PM
dedtired

Thanks. Great idea. I'll zip over to the State Store before I drop my car to have the oil changed. I hope the predicted snow does not materialize too early or I will be eating chocolate cake and sipping Grand Marnier by myself, which doesn't sound too bad.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 2:49PM
grandmamary_ga

I wouldn't do the peach schnapps either. Try for a small bottle of grand marnier from somewhere or don't make the cake.
Mary

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 3:12PM
Islay_Corbel

Lacking any booze, add some grated orange zest.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 4:12AM
dedtired

So I got some Triple Sec instead of Grand Marnier. Triple Sec was $9 a bottle and Grand Marnier was $22. They did have the teeny bottle of GM -- $3 for a few tablespoons. The cake was easy but I thought a bit dry. I did not have it with ice cream.

Book Club was fun, as always. I look forward to it. It is snowing to beat the band right now so only the neighbors who could walk over showed up, which was fine.

Anyway, glad I did not try the schnapps! Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™