Have you cut your own mats for pictures?

marti8aSeptember 28, 2008

If so, do you have a mat cutter or is it possible to do it without one? If you have a mat cutter, what kind should I get & approximate cost. I figure I will cut a few mats now & then maybe not again for a couple of years so hate to spend a lot of money on it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvs2click

I have cut them before without a mat cutter but it's pretty hard to get a crisp edge. If you're using white it might not be so noticable but if you use any other color, the white from inside shows through and any imperfection shows up. I used a metal ruler/yardstick and a very sharp xacto knife. I found it's easier to cut with the xacto knife straight up instead of trying to get an angle cut as it is impossible to hold the knife at the same angle all the way around and then your white has different widths and is very noticable.
Arlene

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 7:51AM
marti8a

Thanks Arlene. I finally found a couple of websites & blogs with directions, and went to Hobby Lobby last night to buy the mats & cutter. But the lady who worked there told me they use a razor blade, so I didn't buy the cutter. The mats turned out great, but now I can't figure out how to secure everything in the frame without buying a point driver.

If I thought I would be doing this a lot, I would buy a point driver, but for a cheap picture, it isn't worth it. Originally, the pic was secured by staples, but my staple gun doesn't get close enough to do any good. So that is what I'm working on now.

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 11:31AM
sunnyca_gw

VEry thin small nails about 1/2 -3/4 in. long will work if the wood of frame isn't too hard.
better if antique frames with holes from long ago!!LOL. Jan

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 2:24AM
donnas_gw

I was just watching an episode of Design on a Dime. The lady was cutting out a mat and she said for clean edges, a finger nail file is your best friend. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 2:20PM
marti8a

I think I've figured it out. I've made a few frames now and cut a few mats and they look ok. I am getting a frame clamp and joiner from my father-in-law which will make it easier too.

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
How to decorate christmas tree, beads ribbons etc
I am trying to decide how to decorate my tree this...
L A
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
wind spinner patterns
does anyone have patterns for the old time wind spinners...
parker806
Vase Fillers As Rhinestones?
Hi everyone, I bought a few of these clear vase filler...
moonwolf_gw
Sponsored Products
Shaded Two-Light Wall Sconce
$220.00 | Bellacor
Bella 33 Inch Premium 16 Gauge Low Dam Divider Angular 50/50 Double Bowl with Ac
eModern Decor
Large Eucalyptus Wood Mady Outdoor Bench
Cost Plus World Market
Gardenia Wall-Mount Toothbrush Holder
Signature Hardware
Fenton King-size Bed
Overstock.com
Triangle Diamonds Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
EAGO AM196 6' Clear Rectangular Whirlpool Bath Tub for Two with Fixtures
Blue Bath
Mademoiselle Chair Missoni by Kartell