Best pizza in America?

calilooJanuary 23, 2014

Not sure I agree since I am not a fan of clam pizza.... but there are some others on the list I have tried and would HAPPILY revisit!

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Pizza in America

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arley_gw

If you go to the website of the #1 pizza, you'll see that the pizza is a thin crust pizza cooked in a coal fired oven. If you get a chance to have a pie cooked in such an oven, do so; there's one in downtown Atlanta near the Aquarium, Max's. Great stuff.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:47AM
debrak2008

We like a thick crust with just sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. Most people in western new york seem to like a thick crust. The wegmans we shop at changed their pizza to thin crust "ny" style. We hate it and won't buy it anymore. Others have told me the same. Another reason we in the WNY are completely different than those in NYC.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:26PM
jojoco

I spend a lot of time in the New Haven CT area. And almost as much time at Pepe's pizza. The pizza is amazing. The clam pizza is very good. It's not my personal favorite, but Seems to be the one that everybody orders. My favorite pie there is only available in August. It is a fresh tomato pie.

Jo

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:58PM
ann_t

My favourite pizza is from a restaurant in Victoria. The pizza is thin crusted and baked in an opened wood burning oven.

I love clams, but the idea of a clam pizza does not appeal to me.

~Ann

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 6:09PM
dcarch7

"---I love clams, but the idea of a clam pizza does not appeal to me."

Same here. The texture of cooked clams and baked dough ? I am not sure.

Besides, just because it is shaped like a pizza does not a pizza made.

dcarch

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 7:13PM
publickman

Mozza in Los Angeles has a clam pizza at the top of the pizza menu. They make a crust that is thin in the middle and thick at the edges. My favorite has Italian fennel sausage, and the worst is any pizza with pineapple on it. I would be hesitant to order a clam pizza as well, but it makes sense for Connecticut.

I usually make a very thin crust pizza, but I am think about making a thicker crust next time.

Lars

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:01PM
dedtired

I mean seriously -- a list of best pizzas and not one from Philadelphia??

I do like the thin crisp pan pizza, what we call Greek style pizza. I also live the thicker chewier crusts like you get at Tony & Joe's in Conshohocken!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:19PM
foodonastump

Debra - I've always thought of you as a NYer, but now I'll think of you as a WNYer and not hold your pizza preferences against you. ;) ;) ;)

Dcarch - "Besides, just because it is shaped like a pizza does not a pizza made." How would you define pizza? I've been contemplating this ever since buying a delicious "pide" at a Mediterranean place a couple weeks ago. Since pizza places seem to put anything stoners come up with on their pizzas, I don't think the toppings alone can define it. (In the case of the pide it was gyro meat and kashar cheese.) Pizza comes round, rectangular, and free-form (fancy word for people like me who can't shape a proper pizza) so I'm not sure that the pointed-elongated shape differentiates pide from pizza more than superficially? Certainly pizza crusts vary significantly across the country, from NY style to less fortunate versions, so that can't define pizza either?

This post was edited by foodonastump on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 21:09

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 9:06PM
jojoco

Here is a picture of a pizza I ordered from Pepe's last summer.
Jo

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 10:38PM
gsciencechick

Debrak, I would also add that almost anywhere in WNY has fabulous pizza! There are so many mom and pop restaurants and takeouts who have amazing pizza. Same thing for wings.

Once in Chicago at Piece pizza, DH and I had a clam pizza. We've made it ever since. We use anchovies, clams, and then put some lemon juice on it when we eat it. Definitely different, but you gotta like fish!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 10:51PM
debrak2008

gsciencechick, glad you said it! I didn't want to seem like I was bragging ; ) Go to about any local (not a chain) pizza restaurant in WNY and you will get great pizza and wings. AND we don't call them Buffalo wings. They are just wings and the best in the world are right here.

FOAS, lifelong WNYer. We will stay as long as we can afford the high taxes. Like I said we are completely different here than NYC right down to pizza crust!

Good question, What is pizza?

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 8:47AM
sally2_gw

The best restaurant pizza I've had is from a place in Tahlequah, OK, called Sam and Ellas Chicken Palace. (Don't ask, cause I don't know why they call it that.) They have great dough, sauce, the works. I couldn't name a specific one, but I just like their crust (thick, like it should be), and their sauce. Their toppings are fresh and tasty.

To me, thin crust is like pizza toppings on a cracker. I don't like it.

Sally

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:45AM
dcarch7

"----Good question, What is pizza?---"

There is a legal definition of what is a Neapolitan pizza, but not what is a pizza.

To me, a pizza is baked dough with tomato sauce and cheese topping, nothing else.

All the others are just pizza-like pancakes with various toppings.

dcarch

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:06AM
debrak2008

Google definition

piz÷za
ÃÂp�"tsÃÂ
noun
a dish of Italian origin consisting of a flat, round base of dough baked with a topping of tomato sauce and cheese, typically with added meat or vegetables.

Is it really italian origin? I've heard this is not true that it is american. Anyone know?

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:19AM
caliloo

I can say quite honestly, the best pizza I have had this year (2014) is from Second Bar and Kitchen in Austin (Chef David Bull), their Black & Bleu pizza:

Black Truffle, Bleu cheese, Pork Belly Confit, Medjool Dates and red onion.

It was incredible and definitely worth the stop if you find yourself in Austin.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Second Bar and Kitchen

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:02PM
foodonastump

I tend to like a plain pie, just your standard sauce and cheese. I used to order different toppings, but now I prefer just plain by a large margin. However, I'll go for something totally different, like the brunch pizza I've posted about, the pide mentioned above, and that Austin pizza looks and sounds great. (Alexa - I think you got a bad link there.)

Arley - the two best pizzas I've had locally are made in coal-fired ovens so there must be something to that.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:22PM
mustangs81

My mother is from Naples, Italy and I grew up with the notion that pizza was from that area of Italy. I eagerly went searching for just the right pizza place when I was in Naples last month.

My mother and my grandmother taught me how to make pizza and Italian bread. When my brothers and I would beg for pizza, mom would laugh and tell us that they (her Italian family) ate it frequently because it was what poor people ate.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 7:17PM
maggie2094

I live downstate and grew up upstate and I'm still the same person...lol and we call our wings Buffalo wings when they are made with franks hot sauce, of course :)

Even bad pizza...is still pizza, and I'm ok with that and I would eat it with a Pepsi (no Coke;)

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 7:20PM
dcarch7

"---Even bad pizza...is still pizza, and I'm ok with that and I would eat it with a Pepsi (no Coke;)"

Pizza Hut was owned by Pepsi.

dcarch

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 7:35PM
debrak2008

Maggie, I made homemade pizza tonight and my DS put franks hot sauce on it. Where upstate?

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 8:54PM
maggie2094

Buffalo pizza ;)...and Pepsi because my dad worked in the plant in Long Island city.

I grew up in the Catskills. Still downstate to many ;)

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Please clarify this butter question......
Help! my brain isn't working on this one & I need...
amck2
Tried And True "Edible" Brownie Recipe? (Where Legal)
Here is a cooking question, more specifically a baking...
johnliu_gw
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
25th Birthday Review
Hi everyone, My 25th birthday was a very special one,...
moonwolf_gw
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
Sponsored Products
Abetta Wide Flex Serenity Endurance Saddle - 20554FW6BK
$481.49 | Hayneedle
WAC Caribe Antique Bronze 50 Watt Juno Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
KnifeForkSpoon Monobloc Table Knife -Set of 6 by Alessi
$69.00 | Lumens
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights 1-Light LED Landscape Lighting
$83.72 | Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Dhurries Sage / Ivory 2 ft. 6 in. x 10
Home Depot