combi steam oven

endomdDecember 18, 2012

I have a question about my new combi steam oven:

If I plan to cook with both heat and high humidity (eg 100% steam), does it make sense to preheat with both heat and steam settings, or just the heat and then turn of the steam once the food is in the oven? I always use the steam-release feature before opening the oven if it is on 100% steam so it seems maybe unnecessary to have the steam going in advance.

thanks!

Ben

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barryv_gw

Ben, sorry, I don't have an answer. A number of us have looked in vain for a thorough instruction book on how to use a combi, and I am not sure if one exists, but if it did it would answer your question. If you are going to cook with high heat and humidity, I might preheat a few minutes, but doubt it makes much difference. If you are making bread, it might make a difference if you put the dough in a hot humid environment, but other than that, if you are cooking something that is going to take more than 10 or 15 minutes, I don't know if the temp when it hits the oven is all that critical.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ILoveRed

If I am cooking with high heat and humidity, I pre-heat. The high heat tends to decrease the steam IMO.

If I am cooking with 100% steam and low temperature..say 220 degrees ie: steamed vegetable, I just put the food in and turn on the oven (I don't pre-heat). The steam fills the oven quickly. Why pre-heat, open the oven and lose the steam? If the oven is already hot, it's harder to get the oven to fill with steam (just my observation).

If I am using zero steam--just convection, I always pre-heat without food in the oven, but of course it doesn't take long.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Blue star electric wall oven w/ French doors
I ordered my wall oven and 30" RNB range 8 weeks...
Debbi Branka
Dishwasher with cutlery tray and heated dry?
I seem to be coming up fairly empty handed with these...
tigger9759
Liebherr cs2062 door badly scratched
Hi everyone, I am considering the purchase of a "scratch...
Chris Treadwell
Ordered my BlueStar!
I ordered and paid my deposit on my BlueStar on Saturday....
Debbi Branka
Miele 643g dishwasher
I bought a house that has this dishwasher. I do not...
cbsdesign
Sponsored Products
Combi Catalyst Stroller - Black - 301128
$284.56 | Hayneedle
Chasseur 3-quart French Red Cast Iron Combi-Cook Sauce Pan
Overstock.com
Delta Electronics GBR80L 80 CFM Single Speed Breez Green Builder Fan/Light Combi
Overstock.com
Combi Shuttle Infant Car Seat - 8035032
$148.98 | Hayneedle
Combi Cosmo Stroller - Royal Blue - 2420129
$108.95 | Hayneedle
Black 3-in-1 Combi Handheld Mixer Set
$29.99 | zulily
Duo Four-Piece Combi Set
$108.99 | zulily
Duo Combi 5-piece Pressure Cooker Set
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™