combi steam oven

endomdDecember 18, 2012

I have a question about my new combi steam oven:

If I plan to cook with both heat and high humidity (eg 100% steam), does it make sense to preheat with both heat and steam settings, or just the heat and then turn of the steam once the food is in the oven? I always use the steam-release feature before opening the oven if it is on 100% steam so it seems maybe unnecessary to have the steam going in advance.

thanks!

Ben

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barryv_gw

Ben, sorry, I don't have an answer. A number of us have looked in vain for a thorough instruction book on how to use a combi, and I am not sure if one exists, but if it did it would answer your question. If you are going to cook with high heat and humidity, I might preheat a few minutes, but doubt it makes much difference. If you are making bread, it might make a difference if you put the dough in a hot humid environment, but other than that, if you are cooking something that is going to take more than 10 or 15 minutes, I don't know if the temp when it hits the oven is all that critical.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ILoveRed

If I am cooking with high heat and humidity, I pre-heat. The high heat tends to decrease the steam IMO.

If I am cooking with 100% steam and low temperature..say 220 degrees ie: steamed vegetable, I just put the food in and turn on the oven (I don't pre-heat). The steam fills the oven quickly. Why pre-heat, open the oven and lose the steam? If the oven is already hot, it's harder to get the oven to fill with steam (just my observation).

If I am using zero steam--just convection, I always pre-heat without food in the oven, but of course it doesn't take long.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?
They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year....
mkiv808
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
2 Weeks With my New ASKO Dishwasher--a review
Since very few people here have ASKO dishwashers or...
needinfo1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™