What crafts can I use peeling tree bark for?

munnernSeptember 1, 2012

I have a large tree that is slowly dying, and is sheding it's bark. The bark is beautiful, and the inside has details from worms, or the such, crawling up. I hate to jus throw this into the burn pile....some of the pieces are 2 ft by 8 inches. And again, very pretty. I believe to tree to be a birch of somekind. Thanks for your ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

If it's birch and still in "good shape" (i.e., not crumbling), you could try to make bark pouches, also known as bark baskets. I've seen on-line tutorials for doing it, possibly at basketmakers.org, but I cannot say for certain.

I think it would be pretty to make bark-wrapped candles... either cut the bark to fit an existing pillar candle, or tie the bark to become a pourable candle mold.

Can you think of a way to embellish the bark to use it as a seasonal hanging decoration? Maybe take a pretty piece of bark and attach greenery, fake berries, fake bird,... then drill holes at opposite ends of the bark and wire it for hanging on your door? :)

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 7:17PM
minnie_tx

We used mallaluca (spelling) bark to cover the outside of picture frames years ago it turned out to be very nice

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 8:27PM
laurastheme

Take this to the garden junk forum. They're full of ideas.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 4:22PM
posieh

Hi....hope this helps. Since the bark usually wants to curl I've seen them take used cans of various sizes, tomatoe juice or canned corn, etc. or old glass bottles or vases and covered the outside with bark and used them for dried flowers. Kinda Nature like. Some added a few small rocks around the bottom for added weight. I've also seen them cover bird houses with the bark. Good Luck!

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 2:34PM
bulldinkie

Cover picture frames,youll have them along time,I have a paper birch,I looked at it the other day Im gonna make hubby a nice picture frame for his big game hunt pictures.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 10:18PM
Janel-M

For small pieces, coat with mod podge or another sealer of your choice, drill a hole in the top and use as pendants for necklaces.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
yooooo - hooooo
Merry Christmas everyone. Miss the old days at this...
grandma_bonnie
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
cooper9191
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™