Dogwood Tree Berries for Decorating?

bowdoin514September 20, 2007

Hi All,

Not sure if this is posted in the correct craft category. Was wondering if anyone here would be able to answer my question or offer me advice. Here goes...can the red berries left on my cut-down branches from my dogwood be dried and used for decorating? Someone else asked me, and I got curious. They would be pretty in some natural arrangement or something. Would they shrivel or lose color? Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Emma in SC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

I'm no expert Emma, but I think any real berries are going to dry and shrivel up because they contain liquid. I collected some real pretty red berries last year from a bush along side the road but I had them in water the whole time. They did last that way, at least for a few weeks, then the leaves turned brown and it was time to get rid of them. I've never tried the "drying flower silica sand" or whatever they call it, but you might want to use that. Either try calling a florist for the info or do a search on the web for dog-wood tree berries and see what you can come up with. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Beaded Christmas ornaments
Most of the year I am busy making beaded jewelry. But...
tripletmom83
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™