Birdhouse Gourds

mngardener1September 8, 2007

I am looking for anyone who has extra birdhouse gourds this year that are dried out - I want to try my hand at painting them - also, anybody done this before? If so, do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Jodi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna37

I have some from 2 years ago when I planted some. They are thoroughly dried and in an out building. I need to check on them and see if they are still okay. Was planning on doing something with them but you know the best laid plans of mice and men.lol

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 8:50PM
mngardener1

I would love to have them if you don't want them! I have never painted them before - have you? Any tips? I thought they would be so sweet hanging from my trees, or even as a gift! What would you like in return? I am listed in the Seed Exchange with a trade list if you would like that, or shipping - let me know!! Thanks so much!

Jodi

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 9:23PM
lindaohnowga

My sister and I both paint gourd birdhouses. We give them several light coats of spray paint as a basecoat, before using our acrylic paints. Then they get several coats of clear sealer.

If you would like to try growing your own next year and have the room to grow them, I would be happy to send you some birdhouse gourd seeds if you live within the states. Hubby and I planted more this year and are hoping for a good crop, but with the drought we've had in GA this year, we aren't sure what we may get.

This is the penguin I painted for one of my granddaughters.

This is the Tweety I made and it is sold.

And this is my patriotic gourd. Our daughter wanted it, so it is now hers.

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 8:50AM
donna37

I will try to check in the next week or so and send you a couple, can pay for the shipping would be fine. Please e-mail me your address thru here and put gourds in subject line.
You can google gourds and find lots of info or go to the garden forum and look for pumpkin squash and gourds, those folks have lots of info.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™