Wandered back after a long absence!

sjarzSeptember 7, 2007

Well it's been a long time since I posted on here - still see a couple of names I recognize...

Last year I moved to a bigger center thinking the craft shows would be bigger and better - haven't found any which was disappointing. Thinking about going back to my old town for a big winter craft show, but still in the thinking stages...

Had major surgery at the end of August and am recovering well.

Now that I have some free time my mind has turned to crafting.

Couple of questions for you crafting divas --

Vinyl records - does anyone remember what temperature to melt them at? Vintage is in so I am thinking about melting records into a bowl type shape, flipping it over to make a lamp top, covering it with fabric or painting it -- anybody got an idea for a base?

Large popcorn tins - you know those tins that are everywhere that came out a few years back that are huge and had mixed flavors of popcorn in them?

Thinking about adding legs to them to make them a funky nightstand with a stash spot inside? Any comments? Might do some cut outs on the sides and put a light inside?

Let me know what you think.

Suzan J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

Welcome back to the forum Sjarz, hope you're recovery is going well and you're feeling good again. I've only been with the forum a little over a year now but sure do love this gang. As for melting records or the popcorn tin, I'm sorry to say I don't know how to do either but I'm sure you'll get some ideas from the others. I do however think you're ideas are goods ones. Good luck on your shows.

Sal

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 1:52PM
wired

Welcome back. I've been a member for a while, but lurked for a long time.
The popcorn night stand sounds interesting. Another thing you could do is cut a piece of wood and attach it to the lid to increase table top surface.

As for the melted records, those are a blast to make and there's an endless supply at yard sales and TS. I made a bunch last Christmas and filled them with goodies. Here's a crafting board that has tons of ideas for records. Just put 'record bowls' in the search and you will find all kinds of goodies.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 6:48PM
anjabee

Welcome back! Your ideas sound great! Sorry, I'm no help on the how-to's. :) ~Anj

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 8:06PM
evelyn_craftdiva

I remember you, welcome back!!

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 4:38PM
luvstocraft

So great to see some of the poster who were here before it became a "pay to play" forum coming back. From the old posts I have read, they were a very creative group.

Both your ideas sound great, and I'm glad Wired could help you with the info you needed.

Be sure to come back and post pics of your finished items okay?

Luvs

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 8:57PM
sjarz

That's my quest this year is to learn how to upload pictures here, I was never able to get it last time, but with the tutorials I've seen I think even this blondey can figure it out!
Thanks for the nice warm welcome everyone, and Hi Evelyn - nice to see you and I'm sure you are busy busy with shows upcoming.
Suzan J

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
cooper9191
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™