please help recommend water system for new home

mrs.sergeantNovember 28, 2012

Hi! I am a newbie to posting but I have been lurking on this site for a year while we were building our house. It has been such a valuable resource and I'm so happy I found it!
I was really hoping I could get some non biased expert advice on some problems we are having with our water. I would be so appreciative for some input. We live on 1.5 acres brand new house on a well. The well is 140 ft deep and has problems with Iron at 2ppm, Hardness at 7gpg, PH is 6.5, and mild sulphur smell at .5. The TDS is 160 and we do have a slight bacteria with orange brown sludge in our toilet tanks and brownish orange water collecting in toilet bowls, dog bowl, bath water etc. The flow rate is 16 We have pex piping and wrisbow fittings so we are not worried about damage to those.
Please tell me your opinion on these systems or a suggestion on a better one, I have two estimates Ive narrowed down
Kinetico 2060 Ssoft, pgh line fitter and post carbon filter- $3135
Watercare 10x54 total water care conditioner with min plus pre filtration and post filtration $3600 plus need an outlet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virgilcarter

It seems you have had your water tested by a reputable source, right? And have they given you recommendations for effective treatment?

I assume your two suggestions respond to and support the recommended remediation?

Good luck with your project.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:24PM
dekeoboe

I was going to suggest you take this over to the plumbing forum, but I see you have already done so.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:26PM
mainecoonkitty

Kinetico - hands down. I live on 8 acres with a well and septic. The water is very hard, lots of iron and sulfur. I also have the reverse osmosis drinking water system from Kinetico and my friends from the city rave about our drinking water when they visit. I have much better quality water here than I ever did in the city, even with a Culligan unit there. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:57PM
shifrbv

I would go with Iron treatment, that shoots chlorine in the well to kill your bacterial Iron (sounds like what you have don't know w/o you testing it).

And prefilter and water softener.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 6:25AM
More Discussions
NEW to New Build - A/C Option Input Needed
I've been lurking around this board for a few weeks...
katiejay
New Home Build - please take a look
Hi all! My husband and I have been working with an...
prepmom
Working on plans, need advice
We're building in Missouri on 24 acres. We want one...
htwo82
Over thinking or detailed
We have not even poured the slab yet, and I find myself...
ourgeorgiahouse
Hardwoods upstairs will be loud?
We are doing a two level home. I REALLY do not want...
kaciead
Sponsored Products
Black Table Lamp: Santa Cruz 31 in. Black/Satin Steel Table Lamp 3310-01
$79.97 | Home Depot
Couristan 3077-0016 Five Seasons Cream Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 307700161
$19.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Red/ Black Rug (6' Square)
Overstock.com
Hamilton Jet Black Three-Light Jet Black Rock Crystal Wall Sconce, 14.5W x 23H x
Bellacor
Abba Beige Drum Twin Pull Chain Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cobblestone Rug 5' x 8' - GOLD
$499.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™