I'm getting an interest in Paper Mache

toomuchglassSeptember 19, 2010

I did it in grade school - that's how long ago it was !

Now I'm thinking about making my own forms to mosaic or decoupage. Has it changed any ? Flour & water & strips of newspaper ? Such a simple craft with tons of potential !!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintergirl94

I did this project with our girl scout troop. They all screamed when I stuck my hands in the "batter" But, once they did it, and started using it, they couldn't believe how fun it was. We made animals (I pre-made the forms with aluminum foil) based on Oaxaca folk art. The following week we painted them. It takes a while to dry.
So yes, I did it the old-fashioned way: flour, water, newspaper strips.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 8:42AM
sunnyca_gw

I have just used the stuff you wet & mold, we made old fashioned Santas 1 year. I still have mine. How about using stuff you cross shed in paper shredder, sure would be easier than stripping papers! Jan

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 2:18AM
TwoMonths

You can add lint from your dryer into the paste to hold better. And maybe a layer of tissue or napkins (taken down to one ply) to be a bit smoother and you can sand it lightly before you cover.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 7:35PM
kudzukween

hey TMG :D
last year I did some Halloween candy totes. I blew up small balloons and did it the old fashioned way with glue and torn strips of newspaper. I used Aleen's tacky glue in some water, and put a few strips of paper in it at a time. When I liked the look, I added some colored tissue paper to finish, but I think painting would be easier. I don't know how sturdy it would be to mosaic,lol, but they sure did get hard! I remember my daughter making a pinata for school that the class had to saw open, though :D hehe

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™